National Martini Day is right around the corner on June 19. Classy and sophisticated are words that often come to mind when one thinks of a martini. That, and James Bond, of course. Shaken or stirred? How do you prefer your martini? To discover the secret to making a great martini, we asked some people who know how to make a drink: cocktail and beverage influencers. We reached out to content creators in the lifestyle, food, and mixologist space to ask the same question: how do you make your martini? The answers varied, but one thing was for sure. Each influencer knew how to make their version of the perfect martini.

Citrus

Jordan Hughes, a cocktail influencer and videographer, known as @highproofpreacher online, told Spoon University, "My favorite martini is a 5 to 1 martini with a twist.” That’s five parts booze, in this case gin, to one part vermouth. “I always stir it down with ice, and strain into a chilled Nick & Nora glass, and serve with a lemon twist,” he continued. “I might go with an olive on occasion, but generally, I prefer a citrus-forward martini.”

Alessandro Palazzi, influencer and bartender, also likes citrus in his drinks. He believes that all one needs for a good martini is a “frozen glass, frozen gin or vodka, and a zest of Amalfi lemon.”

Stirred

A gourmet food and cocktail influencer, journalist, and recipe maker Cara Campbell, said “If I'm in the mood for more of a classic dry martini, I like a 6 to 1 gin to vermouth ratio, with a twist of lemon for a garnish.” Her tip is to stir, stir, stir until cold. “James Bond did not get that right,” she said.

Frigid

“A good martini is a frigid martini, which is why lately I've been partial to the pre-batched freezer method,” experienced home bartender and influencer, Hannah Chamberlain, known online as @spiritedla, shared. “The martinis get so cold they're almost viscous.” Chamberlain enjoys her martinis with a classic London dry gin, not too much vermouth, and she goes “back and forth between a slightly dirty one garnished with Castelvetrano olives and a clean one made with orange bitters and a lemon twist.”

Dirty

“I am certainly a dirty martini kind of girl,” Atlanta-based food and wine influencer Ashley Chukwu said. “I start by swishing lemon juice in a martini glass then I freeze the glass for about 10 minutes.” In that time, she adds 2 parts vodka, 1 part dirty martini cocktail mixer — preferably the Stirrings brand — and a dash of lemon juice to a shaker with ice. “After shaking, I pour into my chilled glass and garnish with lemon peel and 2 to 3 olives,” she continued. “Literally so good!”

Dirty, But With a Twist

“Martinis are personal,” Ashley Rose Conway, a cocktail and photography influencer, said. Conway loves a dirty martini, but she needs it to be dirty with a twist. Conway makes her martini with olive brine, a citrus-forward flavored gin, dry vermouth, and sweet blanc vermouth “for a bit of body.” And she always garnishes with an olive and lemon slice. 

Extra Dirty

Nea Arentzen, known for making delicious desserts, continues the dirty martini trend. But Arentzen likes her martini extra dirty. She adds lots of olive juice for flavor and feta brine because “a coworker put me onto this and it’s so delicious.” Arentzen also shakes her martinis because she enjoys seeing the “little ice crystals.” For final touches, olives “are an absolute must.”

Extra Dirty with Spice

Another twist, no pun intended, is added to the martini by Emily Kierstead, @emmmck, a lifestyle influencer. Kierstead’s favorite martini is extra dirty with a little bit of spice. She uses gray goose vodka, a hint of vermouth, olive brine, and a spicy jalapeno brine. “This creates a delicious balance of spicy and salty!”