The public perception of vegans is that they can only eat vegetables and drink soy milk, but this couldn't be further from the truth. There are some foods that vegans do have to give up, but there are so many more that actually follow the dietary restrictions.

Here are six of the best treats you can still eat if you're vegan, either with minor modifications or just as is.

1. Oreos

chocolate, candy, sweet, cookie, cake, cream, goody
Hareena Kaur

This one doesn't even require a change or substitution. Most people don't know this, but Oreo cookies are actually vegan! This may be a little unsettling (what's in that white "cream" filling, then?), but if you love Oreos like I do, you'll keep eating them anyway.

2. Buttercream Frosting

avocado, vegetable, coconut
Hareena Kaur

Buttercream frosting uses eggs and sugar. Instead of eggs, use mashed or blended avocado (a dash of lemon juice is optional). This buttercream frosting will be green in color and completely vegan! And the flavor isn't weird; the sugar masks any mild taste of the avocado.

3. Cookies, Brownies, Cakes, etc.

sweet, milk, candy, dairy product
Hareena Kaur

Many baked goods require eggs, but worry not. There are many ways to get around this. Again, you can use an avocado in recipes where the color isn't important, or you can combine chia seeds and almond milk to create a gooey consistency like eggs. You can also use almond milk as a substitute for milk in most recipes.

4. Ice Cream

milk, dairy product, cream, sweet, flour, dumpling, dough
Hareena Kaur

Many people don't know the hidden goodness behind bananas. I'm not talking about the nutrients, I'm talking about the ice cream. That's right, if you freeze banana slices for about three hours and then blend them, you get ice cream! You can add in some vanilla, peanut butter, or strawberries based on the ice cream flavor you're craving.

5. Chocolate Syrup on Ice Cream Sundaes

wine, beer, alcohol
Hareena Kaur

That's right, you can still enjoy the not really chocolately-goodness of Hershey's chocolate syrup as a vegan. Pair it up with your favorite vegan ice cream (or make some with bananas). Top with fruit, nuts, and other vegan toppings of your choice!

6. Chips and Dip

Hareena Kaur

Hummus is quite possibly the greatest gift to mankind. This dip is so versatile that it can easily be used to recreate chips and dip. Many dips require cream cheese or sour cream, but most brands of hummus are vegan (just double check the ingredients), or if you're feeling adventurous, try making your own hummus at home!

Although there are lots of chips out there that are vegan, it's better nutritionally and also for your taste buds to pair the hummus with a variety of fresh vegetables. My favorites are carrots, radishes, and celery.