Making grown up decisions can be stressful at times. There are days when I’d give anything to return to elementary school, do some coloring, and come home to a GoGurt and a nap. Nothing against yogurt in a tube, but have you walked past the yogurt section in a grocery store lately? The options are endless, especially when it comes to vanilla yogurt.

With Greek, Australian and Icelandic style yogurt found in grocery stores everywhere, simply buying vanilla yogurt can feel like an international overload. Throw some traditional and dairy-free yogurt into the mix, and it's easy to become overwhelmed.

Don't go into panic mode just yet; this ultimate guide to vanilla yogurt is here to help. By comparing ingredient lists and nutrition labels of common vanilla yogurt options, you can stay informed and avoid a grocery store meltdown. Let's get started.

Greek Yogurt

beer
Micaela Petrucci

Greek Yogurt, like this Oikos Triple Zero Vanilla Yogurt, is likely one of the most popular yogurt types. 

This yogurt is thick, creamy and packed with protein. Of all the yogurt options I researched, this one contains the most protein and least amount of sugar. It also contains non-fat milk, resulting in a fat free yogurt option.

12 Ingredients:

Cultured Grade A Non-Fat Milk, Chic Root Fiber, Water, Less Than 1% of Natural Flavors, Stevia Leaf Extract, Malic Acid, Sodium Citrate, Vegetable Juice Concentrate and Beta Carotene (for color), Sea Salt, Vitamin D, Active Cultures.

In a 5.3 oz. container:

Calories: 120

Protein: 15 grams

Fat: 0 grams

Sugar: 6 grams

Sodium: 65 milligrams

Icelandic Yogurt

pudding, sour cream, sweet, dairy product, dairy, cream, yogurt, milk
Micaela Petrucci

Icelandic Yogurt, also known as Skyr, has been taking grocery store shelves by storm. Siggi’s Vanilla Icelandic-Style Skyr should not go unnoticed.

Not only does it have the shortest ingredient list, but this yogurt also contains the least amount of calories per serving; however, it does contain slightly more sugar than Greek yogurt. 

The pasteurized skim milk that creates this fat free yogurt, comes from grass-fed cows. If you're looking for yogurt with simple and natural ingredients, Siggi's is the way to go.

5 Ingredients:

Pasteurized Skim Milk, Organic Agave Nectar, Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla, Live Active Cultures, Vegetable Rennet. 

In a 5.3 oz. container:

Calories: 100

Protein: 14 grams

Fat: 0 grams

Sugar: 9 grams

Sodium: 60 milligrams    

Australian Yogurt

cream, coffee
Micaela Petrucci

If you haven’t experienced Australian style yogurt, Noosa Vanilla Yoghurt is a great place to start.

This rich and creamy yogurt is a standout in the flavor department. If you look closely, you can even see the little specks of vanilla bean floating around. Noosa uses whole milk, which means this small container packs the most calories and most fat.

8 Ingredients:

Grade A Pasteurized Whole Milk, Cane Sugar, Pure Vanilla Extract, Honey, Vanilla Bean, Kosher Gelatin, Pectin, Live Active Cultures.

In a 4.4 oz. container:

Calories: 150

Protein: 6 grams

Fat: 7 grams

Sugar: 16 grams

Sodium: 70 milligrams 

Dairy-Free Yogurt

milk, dairy product
Micaela Petrucci

Here to prove that yogurt truly is for everyone, Silk offers a Dairy-Free Vanilla Yogurt worth trying.

With a soy milk base, Silk yogurt is completely vegetarian and perfect for anyone who needs to avoid dairy. Of course, to make up for the lack of dairy in this yogurt alternative, the ingredient list is on the lengthier side.

15 Ingredients:

Soymilk (Filtered Water, Soybeans), Cane Sugar, Less than 2% of: Corn Starch, Natural Flavor, Pectin, Tricalcium Phosphate, Citric Acid, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sea Salt, Vanilla Bean, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Live and Active Cultures, Vitamin D2, Vitamin C Ester, Natural Mixed Tocopherols.

In a 5.3 oz. container:

Calories: 140

Protein: 6 grams

Fat: 3.5 grams

Sugar: 16 grams

Sodium: 90 milligrams 

Traditional Yogurt

milk, tea, coffee
Micaela Petrucci

Last but not least, traditional yogurt is certainly a go-to option. Yoplait Original French Vanilla Yogurt has been a grocery staple for generations.

This original vanilla yogurt is made of reduced fat milk, so the fat and calorie count is fairly low. However, a serving of this yogurt contains three times more sugar than it does protein. When compared to Greek and Icelandic options, the texture of this style is much thinner and the serving size is slightly bigger.

9 Ingredients:

Pasteurized Grade A Reduced Fat Milk, Sugar, Modified Corn Starch, Kosher Gelatin, Natural Flavor, Yogurt Cultures, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3.

In a 6 oz. container:

Calories: 150

Protein: 6 grams

Fat: 2 grams

Sugar: 18 grams

Sodium: 95 milligrams 

milk, tea, coffee
Micaela Petrucci

Now that you're an expert on all things vanilla yogurt, it's time to take action. Know your options and don't just settle for the first yogurt container you see. Any of these would be perfect for an on-the-go breakfast, afternoon pick-me-up or late-night craving. After all, life’s too short to eat boring yogurt.