If you’ve scored an interview with the coolest grocery chain around, you’re one lucky duck. But, how do I dazzle the interviewer at Trader Joe's? Well, I’m glad you asked. After combing the entire internet for information, I’ve compiled some helpful hacks to help you win that Crew Member shirt and name tag. Here’s the rundown on what Trader Joe's interview questions to expect.

Looking to ace your Starbucks interview? We've got a guide to what your can expect from a barista interview, too.

Trader Joe’s interview questions to prepare for

It may seem obvious, but prepare to explain why you want to work at Trader Joe’s. Come with a list of your favorite merchandise, like Candy Cane Joe-Joe’s, as well as personal experiences with Trader Joe’s employees that motivated your interest in applying. You need to show that you understand what separates Trader Joe’s from chains like Whole Foods or Walmart, and why Trader Joe’s is your top choice employer.

Overall, your answers should detail your customer service skills, your teamwork and problem-solving abilities, and your fervor for the Trader Joe’s brand and experience. Come prepared with examples of past moments when you excelled at customer service, resolved team conflicts, and felt a personal connection to Trader Joe’s. Lastly, when they ask about availability, you want to appear as flexible as possible.

Every interview will be slightly different, but there’s a solid list of possible questions on The Interview Guys website.

Below are a few of Trader Joe's interview questions for practice.

1. What separates Trader Joe’s from competitors in your eyes?

2. How do you stay motivated when handling repetitive tasks?

3. Can you tell me about a time when an employee went above and beyond for you? What made that moment stand out?

4. What does excellent customer service mean to you?

5. Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.

6. If a customer wanted you to recommend a product in a specific category, what questions would you ask to help find the right fit?

7. What was your favorite part of past jobs?

8. How would your former manager describe you? What about your past coworkers?

9. How do you typically fit into a team? What sort of role do you play?

10. What’s your availability? Are you flexible, or are there limitations? 

The Trader Joe’s employee dress code

As long as you wear your crew member shirt and name tag, the work fit is up to you. And, because Trader Joe’s has no bans on visible tattoos or piercings, you can flaunt that Snoopy tattoo and wear those sparkly Y2K butterfly earrings. Of course, the job does occasionally involve lifting boxes of up to 50 pounds, so keep that in mind (closed-toe shoes seem like a solid plan).

The perks of being a Trader Joe’s employee

Trader Joe’s explains on it’s website that all crew members receive a 20% discount on Trader Joe’s products, have the potential to receive a 7% annual increase in pay, have access to a 401(k) retirement plan, as well as health insurance that offers medical, dental, and vision plans (Trader Joe’s covers a significant portion of the cost with Crew Member contributions as low as $25/month). On top of those benefits, Trader Joe’s offers paid time off that increases with time as an employee and contributes 3.6% to 7.5% to each Crew member’s paid time-off account, giving them around 5 to 10 days vacation days a year.

Prepare some questions to ask for the end of the interview

It’s always a good idea to ask questions at the end of an interview. Not only does it show the interviewer that you were paying attention during the interview, but it can also provide relevant information that can determine whether you will eventually accept an offer of employment. Ask the interviewer about their experience working for Trader Joe’s, the team dynamic, supervision style, predictability of schedules, onboarding process, or the interviewer’s favorite part of working for Trader Joe’s.

You got this!