I think a lot of us have fantasized about working at Starbucks at some point or another. I mean, free coffee? Here for it. Of course, any job has its frustrations, but a Starbucks barista (or partner, according to Starbucks) is a pretty coveted position in the realm of service industry jobs attainable for students. So, if you’re lucky enough to score an interview with the coffee chain, it's worth taking a little time to prepare. Luckily, you’re in the right place! Here’s the rundown on what to expect for Starbucks interview questions, plus tips from actual employees. 

Be prepared to answer these Starbucks interview questions 

Every interview will have a slightly different mix of questions, but here’s a few examples from the job site Zippia.

We also got a tip from a current Starbucks barista about what their interview process was like. “[Be prepared for ] basic questions like what you know about the company,” this person shared. "They’ll ask you if you’ve worked in customer service jobs before and how you deal with confrontation and de-escalate problems that might arise with customers.” They added that they knew a lot about the menu, including current and discontinued drinks and pastries, which helped them land the job. “I think they care a lot about if you have prior knowledge of the company besides [just] oh it’s Starbucks, and they’re a major coffee chain, and they have xyz drinks on the current menu.”

We also got a tip from a current Starbucks barista about what their interview process was like. “[Be prepared for ] basic questions like what you know about the company,” this person shared. "They’ll ask you if you’ve worked in customer service jobs before and how you deal with confrontation and de-escalate problems that might arise with customers.” 

They added that they knew a lot about the menu, including current and discontinued drinks and pastries, which helped them land the job. “I think they care a lot about if you have prior knowledge of the company besides [just] oh it’s Starbucks, and they’re a major coffee chain, and they have XYZ drinks on the current menu.”

Reddit also had some advice for Starbucks job interviews. “Starbucks interviews are pretty generic, so have answers prepped for the usual questions (greatest strength, greatest weakness, example of working on a team before, disagreement you’ve had and resolved before, etc),” user @anrikay wrote. “For the weakness question, make sure to list a weakness that isn’t a deal-breaker (i.e. I can’t talk to people), and say what you’ve done to address that weakness."

They also recommended looking up the company values and referencing that when asked about why you want to work at Starbucks, “Look up the job description for the position you applied for and try to cater your description of your work ethic and skills to that,” they added.

They added that they knew a lot about the menu, including current and discontinued drinks and pastries, which helped them land the job. “I think they care a lot about if you have prior knowledge of the company besides [just] oh it’s Starbucks, and they’re a major coffee chain, and they have xyz drinks on the current menu.”

Interpersonal skills also count for a lot. “Talk about wanting to make a difference in someone’s day…Starbucks is all for making the moment right, one coffee, one customer, one connection at a time,” user @caroosa wrote.

The Starbucks employee dress code

Here’s some key points from Starbucks employee dress code, which can be found on their website. You don’t have to follow this for the interview, but it's worth looking over for general guidance.

No:

Visible undergarments

Perfume or fragranced grooming products

Temporary hair color sprays or glitter

Nail polish or artificial nail coverings

Jewelry on hands or forearms, including watches and wristbands (except one plain ring without stones or etchings)

Hair and face:

Hair must be secured away from the face (facial hair trimmed)

One facial piercing allowed; no larger than the size of a dime

Earrings and ear gauges no larger than the size of a quarter

Tattoos permitted except on face or throat

“Dress business casual for interviews and tie your hair back if you have long hair,” Reddit user @anrikay continued. “During the interview, sit up straight and use open body language (don’t cross your arms or legs, keep your shoulders back, smile often). This helps project professionalism, confidence, and a friendly demeanor.”

The perks of being a Starbucks partner

Everyone’s favorite part! Here’s some highlights from the perks listed on Starbucks website if you are able to land a job as a Starbucks partner. You will be eligible to get a free pound of coffee or box of tea every week, 30% off any beverages, merch, and food you purchase, plus a full-service Spotify Premium subscription to be able to create radio stations and in-store playlists.

While working, you’ll be able to drink any handcrafted beverage for free and eat any seven pastries or ready-to-eat food items per week.

Also, while it's not quite as sexy as free cold brew, it's worth noting the Starbucks College Achievement Plan, in which U.S partners who are benefits-eligible can receive 100% upfront tuition coverage for a first-time bachelor’s degree through Arizona State University’s online program.

Good luck!

You’ve done your research, practiced your interview questions, prepared your fit, and read up on the perks (so motivating),  you’re ready to ace that interview! Bestie, you’re gonna do great. Go forth and caffeinate!