Being an independent college student can be scary, especially when you're forced to "adult" and do things like cook for yourself. But don't worry, because with some Trader Joe's essentials and not so essential, but amazing products nonetheless, cooking can be both fun and easy.

1. Bread

Not super exciting, but bread is such an amazing staple to have in your kitchen. Whether you want avocado toast, French toast, grilled cheese sandwiches, peanut butter banana toast, or whatever creation you may think of, having bread stocked will ensure that you can always have some kind of easy snack or meal to make. Plus, Trader Joe's has such a diverse selection of breads for all cravings and diets, you can always find one that suits you. If you keep your bread in the fridge or freezer, you can also extend it's shelf life to about 2 weeks!

Kaitlin Hori

2. Rolled Oats

Rolled Oats are one of the Trader Joe's essentials to have, because they can sit in your cabinet ready to use for oatmeal (or overnight oats), to grind up to use as oat flour in pancakes or cakes or even to make your own granola. Plus, Trader Joe's Rolled Oats are a great deal at only $2.99 a bag. 

Kaitlin Hori

3. 3 Seed Sweet Potato Crackers and Roasted Garlic Hummus

Maybe this specific combination doesn't suit you, but having some kind of cracker/chip and hummus/dip can be a savior during those late night study sessions or just when you're craving a snack. I love the sweet potato crackers because there is just a hint of sweetness and I love the texture with the seeds. The roasted garlic hummus is also my favorite hummus, but, again, Trader Joe's has such a wide selection of both crackers and hummus/dips that you are bound to find one that you love.

Kaitlin Hori
Kaitlin Hori

4. Nut Butter

Honestly, I was not super into nut butters, until I had Trader Joe's unsalted, crunchy peanut butter. All of the nut butters look amazing (and are great deals compared to other stores), so you really can't go wrong with any of them. Having a jar of nut butter is a great, healthy staple to use on sandwiches/toast, to add to parfaits or oatmeal, or honestly to just eat straight out of the jar.  

Kaitlin Hori

5. Seasonings

Trader Joe's is known for having unique products and this could not be more true when it comes to their seasoning section. Having a few, staple seasonings (besides your basic salt and pepper) that you love is a great way to make "boring" food more enjoyable and can make you more likely to cook your own food. My personal favorites are the everyday seasoning (my roommate and I have already gone through a whole bottle) and the everything but the bagel seasoning (the hype is real). 

Kaitlin Hori
Kaitlin Hori
Kaitlin Hori

#SpoonTip: Not technically a seasoning, but getting a jar of their minced garlic can save you a lot of time and effort while adding great flavor to a lot of your meals.

Kaitlin Hori

6. Eggs

Again, not super unique, but eggs are definitely one of the Trader Joe's essentials to have in your kitchen. They are so fast, easy and economical. 

#Spoontip: Getting a carton of egg whites and cooking one egg with some egg whites (as opposed to 2 eggs) can lessen the number of actual eggs you are using while also reducing your daily fat intake. 

Kaitlin Hori

7. Spray Oil

Everything in spray form is more fun, which is definitely true when it comes to spray oil. It is also so much easier and controllable than pouring oil and will probably lessen the amount of oil you actually add to the pan (unless you're having too much fun with the spray). My favorites are the coconut oil and olive oil. 

Kaitlin Hori

8. Bananas

Trader Joe's is known for having "cheaper" bananas at only 19 cents per banana (or 25 cents for organic), which is great because bananas are so easy and portable. Plus, you can always grab one as you're running out the door. They are also great to use for peanut butter banana toast or you can freeze the old ones and blend them up for a healthier alternative to ice cream. 

Kaitlin Hori

Bonus: Trader Joe's also has these chocolate covered frozen bananas, which are great to keep around for when you want a healthier alternative to those late night sweet treats. 

Kaitlin Hori

9. Frozen Zoodles

Zoodles are a great (and low-calorie) alternative to pasta and are super easy and fast to make. You can add marinara sauce, just olive oil and cheese or whatever topping you desire to these. However, having regular pasta around is another great staple because, even in noodle form, zoodles are not the same as good old pasta. 

Kaitlin Hori

10. Cauliflower Rice / Frozen Rice

Similar to zoodles, Cauliflower rice is an amazing, low-calorie, and suprisingly delicious alternative to carbs. You can easily throw it together with your vegetables that are starting to go bad to make a healthy, delicious fried rice. If cauliflower really isn't your thing, Trader Joe's also has frozen, pre-made rice that you can easily reheat when you don't want to wait for rice to cook.

Kaitlin Hori
Kaitlin Hori

11. Cereal

I'm sure that most college students are stocked up on cereal considering how affordable and easy it is. Another Trader Joe's essential is cereal, and there are a lot of options when it comes to this one. My favorite is the bran flakes, which, sound boring, but are super good and still have that hint of sweetness that remind me of Frosted Flakes. 

Kaitlin Hori

BONUS ITEMS:

These aren't technically essentials, but they are just great Trader Joe's products that college students would enjoy and can "treat themselves" with. 

12. Frozen Orange Chicken

Trader Joe's has a lot of great frozen meals that are great options to have when you don't feel like cooking. I think one of their best is the orange chicken. It is  delicious and so easy to make. 

Kaitlin Hori

13. Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups

I think that everyone should have a little sweet treat in their rooms for those especially hard days and these are my favorite, by far. The perfect combination of dark chocolate and peanut butter, I have to show a lot of restraint to not eat the whole container at once. 

Kaitlin Hori