Summer is upon us and that means Picnics with friends and family. You’ve got the family and friends, so what now? Choosing the food and drinks you will all munch together around the picnic blanket. Here is a list of the Top 10 Picnic Foods you might want to make and bring and why you should put them into your wicker basket!

Crisps

Crisps are the ultimate snack. They come in a variety of packets so you can choose whether each picnic-goer has a packet or you share a family bag. They also go very well with dips and salsa, tortilla chips are a particularly versatile crisp.

cracker, wheat, corn, cookie, tortilla chips
Katherine Baker

Salad

Salads are a very adaptable dish. You can incorporate a variety of food groups as well as just your regular tomato, pepper, lettuce and cucumber. You can incorporate meats such as chicken, fruit such as apples, or if you’re feeling fancy, perhaps even some pomegranate seeds. You can also add eggs, cheese or fish such as tuna or mackerel in order to get your protein. The most protein rich cheeses are parmesan and mozzarella, so they’re definitely worth a try. The options for dressings are endless, but the healthiest is to make your own, you can add some zest with lemon juice and olive oil or for a tangier option, combine balsamic vinegar and olive oil instead.

salad, vegetable
Danielle Cahoon

Cookies

Cookies are a perfect treat for sharing, the most cost effective option is to make a batch yourself. You can’t beat homecooked flavour and if you make your own you can make a variety of different flavours, choosing different types of chocolate or even adding dried fruit.

chocolate, blueberry, cookie
Spoon Csu

Squash or Cordial

Squashes and Cordials are the perfect sweet refreshment, and tend to be much healthier than carbonated drinks and a little more flavoursome than plain old water. They can be combined with water before your picnic and stored in large bottles, perfect for everyone to share. A particularly delicious option in the summer is Elderflower Cordial, elderflowers tend to flower in May-June, so you could even try making your own.

juice, lime, citrus, lemon, cocktail, lemonade, ice, sweet, lime cordial, mint
Ana Cvetkovic

Sausage Rolls

Sausage rolls are a delicious savoury option. If meat’s not your thing, there are some wonderful vegan alternatives out there. You can buy mini bitesize ones perfect for sharing, or if you’re feeling adventurous, you could possibly try making your own.

pastry, sweet, bread, jam, dough, cake, bun, sausage roll
Maddie Lanier

Pasta Salad

There are a lot of pasta lovers out there but it just isn’t practical to have warm pasta out in the open and expect it to still be warm by the time you get to your picnic location. So this is the perfect alternative. There are so many options of flavour combinations to choose from from tuna and sweetcorn to pesto and tomato, there’s something that will suit everyone’s taste.

Kebabs

Kebabs are an absolute winner when it comes to picnics. A mess free meat option which can even be combined with vegetables if you so choose. You can make these your own, choosing foods and flavour combinations that most suit you. You could even warm them up on a barbeque if you so choose.

beef, steak, kebab, lamb, pork, pepper, chicken
Kevin Del Orbe

Wraps/ Pinwheel Sandwiches

Sandwiches are a lunchtime staple but when you’re out and about, you don’t want to lose your sandwich filling to the floor. So mess-free options are a must. Wraps are a perfect option, you can make them before you head out and wrap them in tin foil or put them in a Tupperware box, or you could bring a few boxes of fillings so everyone can make their own wrap perfect to their taste. To jazz up your picnic, you could even try making Pinwheel sandwiches, putting your desired topping on whichever bread you might choose, then rolling it up and cross-cutting it, leaving you with delicious bitesize sandwich pieces.

cinnamon, chocolate
Stephanie Nguyen

Fruit

Fresh fruit is not only refreshing but also very good for you, so you can incorporate vitamins and minerals into your picnic as well as the other groups. As with kebabs, putting fruits on skewers means everyone can enjoy a variety of fruit without too much mess. Other options you could utilise are fruits such as strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, the only preparation you need is to give them a quick wash. Watermelon is a perfect seasonal fruit for a picnic occasion also as everyone can help themselves to a slice.

watermelon, melon, vegetable, sweet
Lexi Nickens

Potato Salad

Potato salad is a staple summer food. If you want to be a little healthier with this dish, you can use reduced fat mayonnaise or even sour cream. To give it even more flavour, you could squeeze in some lemon juice. This is also a perfect excuse to use fresh herbs.

So, whilst the summer’s still here, go out and enjoy it in the company of friends, and enjoy delicious Picnic Foods whilst you’re at it!