Fruit: an underrated dessert, a nutrient-packed breakfast, and a trustworthy snack. Without it, summer (and summer cocktails) wouldn't be the same. If you're anything like me, you enjoy eating fruit whenever it's placed in front of you, but you rarely think of putting it on your grocery list. It's about time you did — high in nutrients and low in calories, fruit should be at the top of your list.

Not all fruits are equal, so pay close attention to which ones will benefit you the most. Here are the top 6 fruits with the highest nutritional value:

1. Lemons

juice, lemon, citrus, citron, lemonade, sweet, lime
Sarah Silbiger

Did someone order a lemon drop? This fruit is just as sour as it is nutritional. Ranked above sweet potatoes and winter squash in terms of nutritional density, lemons are packed with vitamin C and fiber. Next time you're dared to bite into a lemon, accept the challenge for the sake of a healthy dose of nutrients. 

2. Tomatoes

cherry tomato, tomato, pasture, cherry, vegetable
Caroline Ingalls

The tomato is commonly misconceived as a vegetable, but it's a highly nutritious fruit. Tomatoes are low in sodium and provide a great source of vitamin E. If you're looking for a refreshing and versatile fruit, the tomato is a great option. 

3. Strawberries

strawberry, berry, sweet, red fruit, red berry, Fruit
Amelia Hitchens

You really can't go wrong with a strawberry — it's a fan favorite, and it's packed with nutrients. Believe it or not, this berry is loaded with vitamin C and contains an average of 170 milligrams of potassium. Strawberries are also linked to heart disease and diabetes prevention.

4. Oranges

orange, citrus
Hannah Leverson

Florida is proud to harvest oranges year-round for a reason. Commonly known for complimenting breakfast and building immune systems with their high levels of vitamin C, oranges are a diet staple. 

5. Limes

lime, juice, citrus, lemon
Sarah Silbiger

Cousin to the lemon and the backbone of a killer margarita, this fruit has hidden nutritional superpowers. Not only is lime packed with vitamin C like its other citrus family members, but it has been linked to reducing the risk of heart disease. 

6. Grapefruit

juice, grapefruit, citrus, blood orange, sweet, lemon

This fruit is hit or miss with people. It's not always easy to tell what it will taste like, but one thing is certain — grapefruit has good stuff in it. Even if you split it in half, you'll still reap its health benefits. Just one half of a grapefruit has 100% of your daily vitamin C and 160 milligrams of potassium. 

Happy Fruiting!