If your concept of Australia is mostly based on kangaroos and assuming people say “g’day mate” exclusively, two things are probably true. First, you have never been to Australia. Secondly, you have never experienced a Tim Tam Slam. 

Exposure to this quirky culinary practice will forever alter your idea of the Land Down Under. Once you try a Tim Tam Slam, you realize how good Aussies have it.

It All Starts With The Tim Tam

Ashley Ladin

Tim Tam Slams are impossible without Tim Tam biscuits. If you don't know about these foreign cookies yet, it’s time to become acquainted.

The Tim Tam anatomy is simple: two malted, chocolate biscuits with a creamy, chocolate center and a chocolate coating. It’s easy to see the appeal, Tim Tams are essentially chocolate, on chocolate, on chocolate.

First released in Australia in 1964, Tim Tams quickly claimed their role as Australia’s go-to treat. The craze has since expanded to 40 countries — most recently arriving in the U.S.A. in 2017.

Eating Tim Tams Like an Aussie

While the history of Tim Tams is well-documented, the origins of the Tim Tam Slam is unknown. Aussies appear to have started enjoying Tim Tams Slams unprompted. The concoction spread throughout the country and earned many different names, such as Tim Tam Explosion and Tim Tam Suck.

Whatever you call it, the process is the same. All you need is a Tim Tam, a hot beverage and a willingness to embrace a bit of mess.

Tim Tam Slams have two main components, the sip and the bite. The goal is to use the Tim Tam as a straw and then abruptly stuff the entire cookie into your mouth.

The Tim Tam Slam requires a special technique to accomplish, as well as exact precision for ultimate taste explosion. Luckily, practice makes perfect.

How To Tim Tam Slam

Ashley Ladin

Step 1: Have Tim Tams on hand and prepare a hot beverage of your choice. Popular drinks for a Tim Tam Slam include coffee and hot chocolate.

Ashley Ladin

Step 2: Bite off one corner of your Tim Tam. This bite should be rather modest. Try to bite just enough so that the cream center shows.

Ashley Ladin

Step 3: Bite off the opposite corner of your Tim Tam in the same fashion.

Ashley Ladin

Step 4: Hold the middle of the Tim Tam between your pointer finger and thumb. Technique is everything here. You want to get most of the chocolate in your mouth, not on your fingers.

Ashley Ladin

Step 5: Submerge one bitten corner of the Tim Tam into your beverage and place your mouth on the other bitten corner.

Ashley Ladin

Step 6: Sip! Sipping time is crucial. Ideally, you will sip until the beverage hits your mouth and then a Mississippi-second longer. If you don’t sip long enough, your Tim Tam won't be fully melted on the inside. If you sip for too long, the Tim Tam will become overly saturated.

Ashley Ladin

Step 7: Slam! Shove the entire Tim Tam into your mouth without reservation. The center should be warm and melty, and a smile should definitely be on your face. 

Ashley Ladin

Time To Get Slammin

Ashley Ladin

While it may take a few tries to execute a perfect Tim Tam Slam, the learning curve provides a reason to keep on eating this delicious treat. Take as much time and as many Tim Tams as you need. The perfect Tim Tam Slam awaits.