Jane the Virgin is a beautiful, heartwarming, thrilling, gripping, emotionally satisfying and yet often heart-wrenching show. The plot has so many twists and turns it would make an pretzel jealous! But the show often leaves us with many questions, such as: What will happen to Michael Cordero? What will happen to Rose and Luisa? Will Rafael and Jane get back together?

And, most importantly: if the characters in Jane the Virgin were food, what would they be?

1. Jane Villanueva: A jar of smooth peanut butter

Think back to your elementary school days. You enter your cafeteria, unpack your lunch your mother so ~lovingly~ packed, and out from your brown paper bag emerges a beautiful, crisp, and golden peanut butter sandwich.

Peanut butter is comforting, warm, sweet, and everyone loves it! Peanut butter is ALWAYS right and goes with everything, just like how Jane is able to blend in any social situation or solve and problem. Peanut butter makes you feel love, and one of the best parts of the show is the exuberant love Jane has for every character. Truly, Jane is peanut butter!

2. Michael Cordero: A grilled tomato and cheese sandwich

Ahhh, grilled cheese. Yum. Let’s just take a moment to appreciate this gif:

Grilled cheese – especially when coupled with tomato soup – is perfect after a long, hard day. Who else has these qualities? Michael Cordero! Jane even told him that, with him, she “feels safe.” This comfort food combo perfectly embodies the comforting qualities of Detective Cordero. Also, grilled cheese is hella lovable and fun to eat, like Jane’s beau! (Was that too cheesy?)

3. Rafael Solano: A bar of 90% dark chocolate

Oooooh. Dark Chocolate. Bitter. A little sweet. A little bad for you but also good for you? Rafael Solano is as sexy and good-looking as a bar of chocolate, and even though 90% dark chocolate is a little hard to swallow at first, you learn to love it. And the people who love it REALLY love it. Rafael Solano also has a sweet side that gets unleashed once he meets Jane, and dark chocolate has a sweet side that you have to work to notice.

4. Petra Solano: A tin can of sardines

“I reallllyyy feel like eating a tin can of sardines right now!” Said no one ever. Petra Solano is an…interesting person. Honestly, just like how you tend to avoid pungent sardines, Jane the Virgin’s blonde bombshell was the character you just wanted to disappear in the first few episodes. And maybe sometimes in the current episodes. She, just like sardines, can be off-putting to many….however, these fish (just like Petra) aren’t actually that bad! Although sardines may not be your first choice for a meal, like how Petra may not be your first choice for a friend, they’re actually ok if used in the right situation.

5. Xiomara Villanueva: A collection of candy jewelry

Nothing is more fun and flirty than Xiomara Villanueva, but candy jewelry comes pretty close. Xiomara knows how to jazz any event up, like how this sweet accessory can spice up any outfit. And Xiomara is incredibly sweet, and is loved by children (specifically, her child, Jane) just like candy jewelry.

6. Rogelio de la Vega: Caviar dip and champagne

Rogelio de la Vega knows how to live life. He’s fancy, a little (very) excessive, and knows what it means to treat him self. That’s why caviar dip and champagne – two of the most…elaborate foods – perfectly symbolize Rogelio. They embody these characteristics, and also add a touch of glamour to any event. #GoRo!

7. Alba Villanueva: A bowl of chicken noodle soup

Alba Villanueva is the rock of her family, their shoulder to cry on, the wise advice-giver. She’s comforting and loving, and these are two characteristics that you also think of when you eat chicken noodle soup! When you’re sick with a cold? Chicken noodle soup. When you’ve have a bad day? Chicken noodle soup. When the weather sucks and you just want something warm? Chicken noodle soup. Also, it’s been scientifically proven (not really) that chicken noodle soup is good for the soul, just like how Alba is good for everyone’s mental health in the show!

8. Mateo: A single peach

So cute. Sooooo cute. SO CUTE! Mateo is, hands down, the cutest character in Jane the Virgin. And what’s the cutest food? A peach! Peaches are also so sweet and lovable, just like Mateo.