None of us need another reason to snack on a warm, gooey doughnut, but any excuse is warmly welcomed. These doughnut shops across America are giving us plenty of excuses, and I think a road trip might be in order. For anyone prone to FOMO like me, this is a formal warning that your mouth will be watering and you’ll probably already be planning your road trip before you even finish reading.

1. Dough

Doughnut

Photo courtesy of @datz4foodies on Instagram

Dough began serving their Doughnut Ice Cream Cones recently in March of 2016 after a little inspiration from foodies around the world. The process begins from scratch and the cone is lined with Nutella. They then add their house-made, über tasty soft-serve flavor, which changes weekly. The cone is topped with whipped cream and a cherry among other toppings like cotton candy, cheesecake squares, black lava sea salt, and many more.

The shop recently introduced Stuffed Doughnuts earlier this year, which are literally stuffed with cookie or cake and finished with frosting or toppings. Currently, you have your pick from three flavors: birthday cake, chocolate chip cookie, and Oreo.

Doughnut

One of Dough’s most popular and awe inspiring doughnuts is their Creme Brulée Doughnut, made entirely from scratch, all the way down to the custard filling.

Dough foodies are advised to keep up with the business’s social media pages (like Instagram and Twitter) on Monday mornings to catch the week’s flavors.

2. Union Square Donuts

Doughnut

Photo courtesy of @unionsquaredonuts on Instagram

Union Square Donuts opened on February 14, 2013 with the mission to create some of the best tasting donuts, and now offers a variety of unique, from-scratch delicacies with vegan options available. The award-winning donuts originate from a brioche dough, giving them a light and airy, pastry-like texture. The bakery team works constantly to develop new tasty treats while keeping all glazes, jams, and creams made in-house with real, wholesome ingredients.

One of Union Square’s most popular picks include the Maple Bacon, with thick cut bacon and dark Vermont maple syrup. It’s “better than a pancake breakfast,” states Union Square. Another well-loved option is the Butter Hazelnut Crunch. Others include the Blackberry Basil Lime, a rotating seasonal flavor also offered on the vegan menu, and the Sea-Salted Bourbon Caramel.

Doughnut

The newest addition to the Union Square family is The Cannoli, with a homemade lemon ricotta filling, Belgian dark chocolate, and topped with toasted pistachios. *mic drop* The pastry mogul also offers its signature Doughies, light and fluffy pulls of donut that “are a perfect Sunday morning treat.” These delicacies come in Pink Lemonade, a delicious vegan option, and Strawberry Coconut.

The shop strives to be modern, pushing the creative boundaries of flavor combinations while remaining firmly rooted in traditional pastry techniques.

Union Square currently has two locations, the main shop in Somerville, MA and an outpost at the Boston Public Market, with a new location coming to Brookline, MA, which they hope to open this coming fall.

3. The Committed Pig

Doughnut

Photo courtesy of @feedmeorleaveme on Instagram

The Committed Pig may feature itself as a burger and pancake house, but the restaurant has earned a spot amongst some of the most awe-inducing doughnuts across the country. The Burgernut is a must when paying The Committed Pig a visit, especially on your doughnut road trip. This special features an American cheese burger served on a glazed doughnut. What more could one want?

Jerry Rotunno, the mastermind behind The Committed Pig, found inspiration for the burger while exploring New York City. “He saw this awesome idea and thought a savory sweet donut coupled with our amazing meat blend would make a killer menu item,” states Dillon Smith, general manager of The Committed Pig in Morristown. Killer menu item it is. It was trial and error to find the right doughnut for the burger, but in the end, an unlikely source provided the perfect pastry. Sorry to burst your bubble, but the doughnut provider is top secret, making this delicacy über exclusive.

Doughnut

Photo courtesy of @food_i_chewed on Instagram

The restaurant wants customers to walk out knowing that their team is committed to giving an exceptional experience. The Committed Pig’s walls are emblazoned with a quote that inspires their employees everyday: “The best way to describe the difference between involvement and commitment is bacon and eggs. The chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Which one are you?”

4. Wake N Bake Donuts

Doughnut

Photo courtesy of @wakenbakedonuts on Instagram

Eating a doughnut is a heavenly experience in itself, but eating a doughnut with an ocean view is on a whole new level. That’s why Wake N Bake Donuts, just off of Carolina Beach in North Carolina, is now on my foodie bucket list. If that experience isn’t enticing enough, I’m sure the delicacies this business has to offer will put Wake N Bake on your bucket list too.

According to the doughnut shop, the “Wake N Bacon” is the highest seller, featuring a maple glaze with bacon crumbles. Another popular pick is their “Espresso High” doughnut. This pick-me-up is loaded with an espresso glaze and topped with Wake N Bake’s espresso-infused raw sugar. Talk about a sugar rush.

Doughnut

If you’re looking for something with a bigger kick, make a beeline straight for “Dat Ghost Fire.” This fiery favorite is a one of a kind super spicy doughnut with a ghost pepper-infused chocolate glaze, chocolate cherry cream filling, and topped off with a candied sliced jalapeño pepper. “It will make you need a glass of milk for sure,” claims Wake N Bake.

5. Voodoo Doughnut

Doughnut

Photo by Ally Barclay

While this magical doughnut shop may also have locations in Colorado and Texas, Voodoo Doughnuts was founded by friends Kenneth “Cat Daddy” Pogson and Tres Shannon to fit the Portland, Oregon atmosphere. This world-famous business is already well known for the pastries they provide, but their hot pink box and eclectic assortment of toppings and doughnut decorations will keep their name in your mind.

The Voodoo Doughnut “Doll” is one of the most sought-after doughnuts that the shop offers. This popular pick consists of a raised yeast doughnut in a Voodoo doll shape, topped with chocolate frosting, “blood filled” with raspberry jelly, decorated like a Voodoo doll, and finished with a pretzel stake right through its little heart.

Doughnut

Photo courtesy of @voodoodoughnut on Instagram

Other popular treats include the Tangfastic, which includes a dusting of Tang (#nostalgia), and the Bacon Maple Bar. The latter is a first of it’s kind topped with smoky mountain maple frosting and two strips of bacon. Voodoo suggests “having at least 2 B.M.’s a day, however, moderation is the key to the magic in the hole!”

6. Gourdough’s

Doughnut

Photo by Xindee Low

Gourdough’s Donuts, Beer & Cocktails in Austin, Texas offers an eclectic assortment of burgers, apps, and donut entrées at their downtown and South Lamar locations. Each of the donut entrées are served atop a piping hot donut and include options such as The Ballpark; smokey Denmark jalapeño sausage topped with Fritos, house-made chili, fresh grated cheddar, and a side of stone ground mustard; and Grandma’s Dumplin’s; slow cooked chicken and donut hole dumplings served with pepper vinegar and a garlic donut on the side.

If you’re looking for a more memorable experience, head to Gourdough’s “Big. Fat. Donuts.” trailer for some serious parties and some serious curb appeal.

Doughnut

Photo courtesy of @gourdoughspublichouse on Instagram

The Mother Clucker, fried chicken with honey butter; The Carney, apple pie topping, dry roast peanuts, and caramel; and the Baby Rattler, fudge icing and fudge Oreos with a gummy rattlesnake, are jus a few of the jaw-dropping delicacies the trailer has to offer. If none of the listed doughnuts measure up to your extreme-doughnut expectations, have no fear. Gourdough’s offers an option to concoct your own.

It goes without saying that doughnuts fulfill the role of your favorite breakfast item and the best way to soothe a stubborn sweet tooth. Now we can include “best reason for a road trip” to the doughnut resume.

Doughnut