Honestly, breakfast is my least favorite meal of the day. Don't get me wrong, I completely understand the importance of the first meal of the day, but it can be difficult to find time in the morning rush. In college, I've come to learn that oatmeal is the way to go. It's quick and easy to make, and all you need is a microwave. So, yes, I'll admit it: I like oatmeal— it's notoriously the most boring and bland breakfast option around, but it doesn't have to be that way. With so many oatmeal brands out there, you don't have to settle for just any old flavor, and can enjoy the best of the breakfast food with an undeserving bad wrap.

1. Nature's Path Organic 

I love Nature's Path Organic, and am constantly making a packet of their instant oatmeal. While their plain oatmeal is delicious and somehow has a creamy consistency that many oatmeals lack, I tend to prefer their packs of flavored oatmeal. Their apple cinnamon oatmeal isn't too sweet and contains chunks of apple that really give it a refreshing fruity flavor. Plus, an apple a day keeps the doctor away, and that's a win in my book. 

Nature's Brand Organic also has a blueberry cinnamon flax oatmeal that tastes like a blueberry muffin without all of the carb- and sugar-filled guilt. Brown sugar maple is also a classic flavor, with an extra kick of sweetness for those mornings when you really need it. Other flavors include chocolate cinnamon pecan, coconut cashew, and summer berries boost. With all these options, you just can't go wrong.

2. Qi'a

Okay, I may be cheating a little here since Qi'a is a sub-brand of Nature's Path Organics. But, Qi'a really does have so many unique and tasty oatmeal flavors, making them deserving of their own category. Although Qi'a's oatmeal options may not sound all that enticing, I really think it's the underdog of oatmeal—the amazing taste is a welcome surprise. 

The flavors include cinnamon pumpkin seed, creamy coconut, and superseed & grains. I'll admit that I did not enjoy the creamy coconut at first, especially since I am not a fan of coconut, but the flavor grew on me. I definitely now consider it be one of the best oatmeal flavors. 

If you like to start your morning off with something a bit sweet, you won't find what your looking for the Qi'a oatmeal. However, I like to add a little bit of brown sugar, or even a bit of strawberry or raspberry jam, to give it the little kick of sugar or fruity flavor that it needs. 

3. The GFB

This oatmeal surprised me. GFB stands for the Gluten Free Breakfast, Gluten Free Bar, or Gluten Free Bites, depending on which food product you're purchasing. I was shocked and intrigued by their wide variety of flavors, which is why I decided to give The GFB a chance. Their flavors include PB+J, coconut cashew, apple cinnamon, maple raisin, and many more.

I went with the apple cinnamon, and I don't think I've ever had so much fun making oatmeal, which is part of what makes the GFB one of the best oatmeal options. It sounds strange, I know. After all, how could oatmeal-making be fun? The individually wrapped oatmeal packages also serve as mini-containers for the oatmeal. All you do is fold the edges of the cardboard packaging, and you've made yourself a bowl for your oatmeal. Then, you fill water to the fill line, pop it in the microwave, and your good to go.

This oatmeal was genuinely made to be eaten on a time crunch or while on the run. It's so easy and portable, and I just love the fact that the packaging also doubles as a bowl. It's also surprisingly filling because it's packed with so many seeds, nuts, and other health foods. But if you want a less nutty and more apple-based alternative, then the Nature's Path Organic apple cinnamon flavor is the way to go.

4. McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oats

McCann's does offer quick, 5-minute instant oatmeal, which is great when you're in a hurry, but it still takes longer to make than an individual packet of oatmeal. However, if you really just want plain oatmeal in the morning that you can add fruit, raisins, or other items to, then McCann's is definitely the best oatmeal for you. It always cooks so well and doesn't seem to get watered down or soup-like in the microwave, which is great because oatmeal should never look like soup. 

On the rare occasion when I am home from school, have extra time in the morning, and have access to a stovetop, I prefer making McCann's steel cut oatmeal. Although it takes time to cook, the slow process is definitely worth it. Steel-cut oats have a slightly chewier, more rice-like texture than instant or rolled oats, so it can be a nice way to change-up the texture and flavor of your breakfast.

5. Quaker Oats

With 12 grams of sugar in one packet, the maple brown sugar Quaker oatmeal was the most sugary oatmeal that I tried. But, I was a bit confused because it didn't taste as sweet as I had expected, which was honestly a pleasant relief. It's kind of bizarre to know that it has the most sugar when it doesn't actually seem overpoweringly sweet. After my taste buds got past that initial shock and confusion, I was truly able to enjoy the oatmeal.

Of course, Quaker is notorious for its oatmeal, so there are plenty of other flavors to choose from. To name a few, they offer apple and cinnamon, cinnamon and spice, apple and cranberries, strawberries and cream, raisins and spice, and peaches and cream. With all of the flavors, there's more than enough oatmeal options for every day of the week.

6. Simply Balanced

I found the Simply Balanced oatmeal at Target and decided to give it a try. I was struck by the fact that the Simply Balanced oatmeal cups contain nearly twice as much oatmeal as a single packet of instant oatmeal. The cups, much like The GFBs' packaging, indicate a fill-line for the water, which makes it really easy to make your oatmeal and then eat it on the go. 

The packaging says to microwave the oatmeal on high for 45 seconds, but I did find that the oatmeal required about 90 seconds in the microwave to get rid of the excess water. Although the maple brown sugar oatmeal was a bit too sweet for me, it actually doesn't contain a lot of added sugar when you consider the fact that you're also getting twice the amount of oatmeal. Plus, I know a lot of people who would love the extra dose of sugar in the morning, and my room was definitely left with a mouth-watering, maple-syrup-like scent. 

So whether you're a plain oatmeal person, or you like to add some flavor into your morning routine, there are so many oatmeal options to choose from. While I think these are some of the best oatmeal options, don't just take my word for it. Go oatmeal binge shopping if your heart (read: and stomach) so desires, and enter the quick, easy, and delicious world of oatmeal breakfasting.