Last summer, I studied abroad in the picturesque country of Ireland. We had a large group of 30 giddy students travel together, all excited to explore the island and experience the Irish culture, food, and lifestyle.

Olivia Chadwick

During our time there, we were invited to tour family-owned farms and view the ins and outs of Irish agriculture, the largest industry in Ireland. We had a chance to visit local farms and learn about sheep, dairy cow, and beef cow practices!  

Olivia Chadwick

There was one agricultural and food experience that stood out to me, primarily because of the generosity of the farmer. We visited many local farms, but something about this farm had me intrigued and excited.

The road to get to our destination was incredibly thin and windy. Our bus driver led us up the mountainous terrain to Ballycoose Farm, a well-known sheep farm at the upmost tip of Northern Ireland. (Fun fact: A few Game of Thrones scenes were filmed on his farm!) and our group all piled out, cameras in hand. The owner, Campbell Tweed, welcomed each student, shaking each of our hands. We couldn't help but be in awe of the landscape, and we managed to take a few photographs of his famous land.

Olivia Chadwick

See those little white animals? Those are only a few of thousands of ewes, rams, and lambs that he has on his 1600 acre farm. This family farm had been functional for decades, and the hard work of the family clearly paid off. His wife cheerfully led us inside, claiming that she had a big surprise for us. All of us couldn't contain our excitement- we were already just happy to be overlooking the Irish coast!

Campbell and his wife invited us into their quaint, eclectic kitchen and surprised us with a welcoming meal. That's right- a group of 30 American strangers were invited to share an Irish breakfast with local farmers. We were stunned. Campbell's wife had prepared a full meal for our study abroad group, featuring freshly made pastries, doughnuts, breads, homemade jams and jellies. We were provided with a variety of hot beverages, as the Irish are famous for drinking warm tea or Irish coffee every morning. 

The photo below, taken at the English Market in County Cork, shows a few of the pastries that we were offered at breakfast from the generous Tweed family. 

Olivia Chadwick

Many Irish locals get their pastries from the English Market, a famous covered farmers market that specializes in fresh produce, seafood, pastries/baked goods, and specialty items. Is your mouth watering yet? It definitely should be.

Olivia Chadwick

We were also provided with a variety of hot beverages, as the Irish are famous for drinking warm tea or Irish coffee every morning. Our group graciously thanked the couple, smiling ear to ear with full bellies.

Not only did we get a thorough tour of breathtaking Ballycoose Farm, but we also shared a warm breakfast in their home.

The generosity that Campbell Tweed and his wife showed us will always stick with me, reaffirming the fact that the Irish are the most giving, hospitable, friendly, and accommodating group of people I have ever met.