If you've ever been to SLO Donut Company (SLODOCO), San Luis Obispo's beloved donut shop, you are familiar with the heavenly, yet overwhelming feeling that often arises upon entering its doors. When you are met with the plethora of pleasing sights and smells, deciding which donut to pick becomes a great challenge. 

SLODOCO constantly introduces new, unexpected flavors and oftentimes incorporates seasonal themes throughout the year--all for a great price. That being said, there are a handful of classics that never go out of style. 

I wanted to get to the bottom of the pressing question that every visitor to SloDoCo has experienced at one point or another: what donut should I get?

I put in the hard work to help you find the best donuts at SLODOCO so that the next time you visit, you can announce your order with confidence and certainty (and enjoy a killer donut). 

The Hunt for the Best 

Jillian Mercer

To start off my investigation, I went to SLODOCO and asked the cashier which five donuts were the most popular among customers. Based on his recommendations, I left the shop with a box containing a maple bacon bar, Nutella pillow, galaxy donut, old-fashioned glazed donut, and milk n' cookie pillow.

After volunteering my time to trying each donut (you're welcome), I ranked my favorites from worst to best so that next time you visit SLODOCO, rather than being overwhelmed, you will know exactly which donut is perfect for you. 

5. Maple Bacon Bar

Jillian Mercer

Although this was a weird combination for me, the donut was surprisingly tasty. I don't usually eat bacon on my donuts, but I appreciated the ratio of the maple flavor to bacon bits scattered on top.

I placed this donut at number five because I couldn't get past the strange texture from the bacon on top of the donut. The sweet and salty contrast was an interesting mouthful that I don't think I will be trying again anytime soon, but now I can proudly brag that I have tried the famous maple bacon bar. 

Ranking: 6.5/10

4. The Nutella Pillow

Jillian Mercer

The Nutella donut was sickeningly sweet, and I mean that in the best way possible. It is extremely rich and creamy, thanks to the Nutella filling. SLODOCO definitely doesn't skimp on the fillings in their donuts, which I thoroughly appreciate.

I ate a couple bites and was stuffed--it's that rich. If you love Nutella, then you'll love this donut. And an added bonus? The donut is decorated with the word "SLO" making it feel even more novel.

If you're like me and have a limit of how much Nutella is too much, then you will probably be better off sticking to a different donut because the filling is very dense.

Ranking: 7/10

3. The Cookie Dough Pillow

Jillian Mercer

The title of this donut is 100 percent accurate: within the flaky, fresh dough rests a mound of thick, legit cookie dough. This donut is so dense I was full after one bite (but of course I ate the whole thing anyway).

I placed this donut at number three because I don't think this is going to be my 'go-to' donut order (a little too rich for regular consumption), but I would definitely order it again if I was craving something extra sweet.

I really thought this was tasty and a unique flavor. Real cookie dough inside of my donut? Yes please.

Ranking: 8.5/10

2. Glazed Donut

Jillian Mercer

I kid you not--this was the best glazed donut I have ever had. It literally melts in your mouth. I could eat a whole dozen of these on my own, they are that good.

SLODOCO glazed donut are unique because they have the perfect texture: it isn't too dense and it isn't too fluffy--it has just the right balance between the two, making the donut melt in your mouth. 

Even though glazed might seem a little boring among so many unique, decadent flavors, I made it my second choice because you really can't go wrong with it.

Ranking: 9.5/10

1. The Galaxy Donut

Jillian Mercer

Not only is this donut aesthetically pleasing to look at, but it also tastes out of this world (literally)! The taste resembles a glazed donut drenched in marshmallow. The combination of frosting and dough used for this donut causes it to literally melt in your mouth.

The galaxy decoration also makes for the perfect Instagram pic.

I might not have given this crazy colored donut a try if it wasn't for this article, but I am so glad that I did: I couldn't find anything wrong with this donut, its actually perfect.

Ranking: 10/10 

Conclusion

Slo Donut Company is easily one of my favorite spots in town. Not only do they provide hungry college students with amazing donuts, they also host live music concerts right inside of the store. The concerts are free, plus you can enjoy great local music along with a great local donut.

SLODOCO is open 24-7, so you can drop what you're doing, head over to the shop, and order one of our top picks.