I cringe when I think about some of the crap I ate as a kid without knowing any better. My food philosophy now revolves around eating for optimal health while making my own rules, childhood cereals were left behind.

cereal

Photo by Kristine Mahan

This list isn’t me blessing these alternatives to be eaten without restriction, but we’re adults here capable of deciding what we eat. Cane sugar can be eaten at your discretion. I’m just telling you that these are the better options for your health. The criteria called for the alternatives to be either organic or made with natural ingredients.

The body can’t process chemicals, and cutting those is a start in the right direction to being a healthier version of yourself. These alternatives are ideal for the days when you just can’t bring yourself to make a heart-healthy, fibrous bowl of oatmeal.

Fruit Loops

cereal

Photo courtesy of generalmills.com

Annie’s Organic Berry Bunnies aren’t the color or shape of Fruit Loops, but what’s inside should be enough to make you feel good about eating real fruit instead of flavorings and dyes.

Frosted Flakes

cereal

Photo courtesy of @edibledetails on Instagram

One Degree Organic Food’s Ancient Maize Flakes aren’t your typical corn flakes with added nutrients from buckwheat and amaranth. Coconut sugar sweetens up this cereal while keeping it low on the glycemic index.

Cocoa Puffs

cereal

Photo courtesy of livenaturally.kingsoopers.com

Nature’s Path Organic Choco Chimps Cereal doesn’t have a catchy commercial or slogan, but rest assured you won’t be suffering from a serious blood sugar spike after a bowl or two.

Cinnamon Toast Crunch

cereal

Photo courtesy of runeatplayblog.com

Cascadian Farm Organic Cinnamon Crunch Cereal looks like Cinnamon Toast Crunch and the taste isn’t too far off either.

Lucky Charms

cereal

Photo courtesy of momsbestcereals.com

Mom’s Best Mallow Oats, while it’s not organic, is the closest thing to a healthier version of the original cereal. The company is dedicated to using the whole grain and never adding synthetic colors, preservatives, or hydrogenated oils.

Cap n’ Crunch

cereal

Photo courtesy of barbaras.com

Barbara’s Original Puffins Cereal makes things a bit healthier at only 5g of sugar per serving, because real Cap’n Crunch has some of the highest amounts of sugar in cereal on the market.

Reese’s Puffs

cereal

Photo courtesy of kalediaries.com

365 Everyday Value Organic Peanut Butter and Cocoa Balls is a brand carried exclusively at Whole Foods Markets. They keep the sugar on the low end and use wholesome ingredients.

Apple Jacks

cereal

Photo courtesy of londondrugs.com

Nature’s Path Organic Qia Superfood Chia Buckwheat & Hemp Apple Cinnamon Cereal won’t quite taste or look like Apple Jacks, but the flavors of real apples and cinnamon aren’t a bad trade.

Rice Krispies

cereal

Photo courtesy of iherb.com

Erewhon’s Organic Gluten Free Crispy Brown Rice don’t snap, crackle, and pop exactly like the original but the quality of what you’re eating has a serious advantage over the original white rice variety.

Honey Nut Cheerios

cereal

Photo courtesy of onedegreeorganics.com

One Degree Organic Foods Sprouted Oat Honey O’s give General Mills a run for their money with their company’s ethics and practices but above all the ingredients they use.