Mark your calendars because this Saturday May 13th is International Hummus Day. The delicious dip, generally made with chickpeas, olive oil and spices, tastes good with just about anything whether you like to spread it on a sandwich, pair it with pita chips or use it as a salad topping. No matter what your preferences are, here is a guide to the best types of hummus for any occasion. Enjoy!

If you’re craving a classic hummus 

Sally Bornbusch

My favorite hummus brand is hands down Roots hummus, which is both gluten free and vegan. It’s made with garbanzo beans, sunflower oil, lemon juice, cumin, garlic, black pepper and sea salt to give it the perfect amount of flavor. The Ashville, N.C. based brand offers flavors ranging from the original (my personal favorite), to thai coconut curry, to mango sriracha, as well as an oil-free option. You can generally find it at grocery stores such as Whole Foods, Publix, and Harris Teeter so be sure to grab some just in time for #hummusday. Made for dipping, I recommend pairing it with Mary’s Gone Crackers for the ultimate snacking combo.

If you’re feeling adventurous

Another quality brand of hummus that I recommend is Hope Foods hummus, which comes in a variety of creative flavors including black garlic (my personal favorite), spicy avocado, kale pesto, sriracha, jalapeño cilantro and more! As a fan of anything with avocado, the fiery flavor gave it a quite the kick! Hope hummus only includes the freshest ingredients, aiming to support local farmers across America, in addition to clean water and agricultural job creation. With each bite jam-packed with flavor, your tastebuds won’t be disappointed so be sure to try out any of Hope’s flavors in celebration of the annual hummus holiday.

If you want to try something different

milk, cheese, vegetable, dairy product
Julia Lauer

If you’re one to order edamame at Japanese restaurants, then this one’s for you! Eat Well’s edamame hummus is the next best thing, putting a twist on traditional hummus by using edamame instead of chickpeas and topping it with roasted red peppers and toasted sesame!

If you’re feeling spicy

If you’re feeling spicy, check out Tribe’s fiery Sriracha hummus that is made with swirls of Sriracha to give each and every bite a punch! If spicy isn’t your thing, don’t worry because Tribe hummus offers 17 different flavors including smoky chipotle corn hummus, sweet potato and red pepper hummus, ranch hummus, and plenty more!

If you want to make your own

dairy product, milk, mashed potatoes, hummus, cream, vegetable
Katherine Richter

If you’re in the mood to make your own hummus, there are thousands of variations, but my favorites include this lentil hummus. Or if you are a peanut butter fan, check out this recipe for peanut butter hummus.

With these delectable options, you are all set to celebrate International Hummus Day, whether you’re planning a get-together or celebrating solo and looking for some easy snack options. Don’t forget to tag #hummusday on Insta. Enjoy!