Standard cut and seasoned fries are a thing of the past. With curly, waffle, and even shoestring-cut fries on the rise, it’s no wonder that people have figured out ways to up the anti through various toppings. We know it can sometimes be overwhelming to choose just one type of fries at a restaurant, which is why we’ve compiled this list of french fry toppings from our least favorite to our ultimate must-haves. Keep in mind that even the worst is still delicious.

7. Cajun

fries

Photo courtesy of @kirstenbadass on Instagram

A slight dusting of Old Bay seasoning can work wonders on potatoes. The blend of spices creates a handful of flavors – smoky, salty, and tangy – that introduce new dimensions to your plain potato. Dip it in a southern remoulade for a real treat.

6. S’mores

fries

Photo courtesy of @stickysfingerjoint on Instagram

Only a handful of restaurants are starting to dish out this campfire treat as a savory fare, but the ones that are have the right idea going. Gooey toasted marshmallow fluff, melted chocolate and crunchy graham crackers provide a trifecta of sweetness to counteract the salty fries. Perfect for your hangry days.

5. Chili Cheese

fries

Photo courtesy of @bestfoodlasvegas on Instagram

It’s okay to get sloppy every now and then, so don’t be one of those people that uses forks on french fries. Some foods were made to be messy, chili cheese fries included. For some reason, melted nacho cheese works better than shredded cheddar, and that’s okay.

4. Salt and Vinegar

fries

Photo courtesy of @letmeseethatfoodiework on Instagram

Even though the combination is usually found on crunchy potato chips, you get the same effect on fries, though it’s just a bit less satisfying. For some reason, humans seem to have a strange addiction to foods that make us pucker and sweat, but hey, we’re not complaining.

#SpoonTip: Want your salt ‘n vinny fix without all the calories? Check out these roasted chickpeas instead.

3. Baked Potato

fries

Photo courtesy of @jlnorman1092 on Instagram

If you’re looking for healthier ways to eat potatoes, the sour cream, chives, bacon, and cheese that are commonly put on top of baked potatoes kinda ruin that. So why not have your potatoes fried anyway? 

2. Poutine

fries

Photo courtesy of @dontlickthescreen on Instagram

This Canadian treat is starting to gain traction in other countries, and it’s easy to see why. The cheese curds that go on top are reminiscent of mozzarella cheese, while the gravy is just like Thanksgiving day, but better. 

1. Truffle Parmesan

fries

Photo courtesy of @hashmita7 on Instagram

Truffle oil is one of those things where less is more. But when done right, the combination of the earthy truffle flavor and salty parmesan cheese creates an experience like no other. It’s pretty lit when there’s parsley on top.