Spoon University Logo
foodflavoredlipbalm
foodflavoredlipbalm
Lifestyle

The Best Food-Flavored Lip Balms

One of my biggest pet peeves would have to be chapped lips. Especially lately, I feel as if lip products are blowing up, so whenever I see someone with chapped lips I can’t help but feel the slightest bit judgmental. However, I feel as if this energy could be diverted into a much healthier approach to those who have clearly not been introduced to the joys of lip balm. Follow along with me as I take you through a round-up of my top five food-flavored lip balms. After all, the only thing better than a moisturizing balm is a moisturizing balm with a fun little flavor to pick you up throughout the day.

1. Glossier Birthday Cake Balm Dotcom

Food-Flavored Lip Balms
Photo via Glossier

I had to start with the balm I’m literally wearing while writing this. I, unfortunately, fell deep down the Glossier rabbit hole my freshman year of college and haven’t been able to claw my way out since. Despite Balm Dotcom’s new formula, I suffered through, my favorite being the ever-iconic Birthday Cake. Now with the new formula back in stores, it remains my pick. This is my go-to clubbing balm, as there’s a really nice shimmer to it that reflects off pulsating club lights beautifully. Not only that, but it tastes enough like birthday cake to be yummy when I inevitably lick it off my lips halfway through the day.

2. The Naked Bee Coconut and Honey Organic Lip Balm

Food-Flavored Lip Balms
Photo via The Naked Bee

I tried The Naked Bee for the first time when I was at my friend’s cabin, having forgotten to bring any lip balm with me and buying the first one I could find. It exceeded any expectations I had going in. Not only is it always exciting to find cheap, organic products in the wild, but this had so much more pigment than I was expecting. Further, the coconut and honey flavor slides on so nicely and cools off your lips. This flavor is perfect for a day by the pool.

3. Summer Fridays Iced Coffee Lip Butter Balm

Food-Flavored Lip Balms
Photo via Summer Fridays

Summer Fridays has been the talk of the internet lately. After seeing the brand everywhere for so long, you have to give in and try one eventually. I picked Iced Coffee, and that was definitely the best choice. I’m partial to a brown shade on my lips, and it’s a very cute one. Subtle, but adds a notable sheen that draws attention nonetheless. The iced coffee flavoring is honestly similar — subtle, but noticeable! It’s undeniably classy.

4. Laneige Gummy Bear Lip Glowy Balm

Food-Flavored Lip Balms
Photo via Laneige

Laneige also feels very stylish to me. The brand is very mature, which makes the diversity in flavors only more enjoyable. My current obsession is their Gummy Bear flavor, with bright purple packaging that emulates the popular candy. The flavor is much less obvious than some of the others on this list, but it’s still there. The glow on these is probably the biggest draw, instantly brightening your whole face.

5. Lip Smackers Fanta Orange

Food-Flavored Lip Balms
Photo via Lipsmackers

On a list about food-flavored lip balms, I could never leave out Lip Smackers. Lip Smackers are the blueprint for any other balm that has ventured into the world of food, and I will be giving them the credit they deserve. Thinking back on my childhood, I went through the packs of different soda flavors, or candy flavors — pretty much whatever Lip Smacker was selling, I was buying. But if I had to pick one flavor that stood out the most, I gotta go with Fanta Orange. The sodas were always my favorite balms, and Fanta Orange was my favorite soda at the time, so it was a match made in heaven. The tingle on my lips after coating them in layers of a lip balm that really captured soda’s carbonation is a feeling I can still conjure up to this day. Lip Smackers, I’m genuinely your biggest fan. 

Izzy Astuto (he/they) is a writer currently majoring in Creative Writing at Emerson College, with a specific interest in screenwriting. His work has previously been published by Hearth and Coffin, Sage Cigarettes, and The Gorko Gazette, amongst others. He is currently a reader for journals such as PRISM international and Alien Magazine. You can find more of their work on their website, at https://izzyastuto.weebly.com/. Their Instagram is izzyastuto2.0 and Twitter is adivine_tragedy.