Breakfast: it's the most important meal of the day and my personal favorite. In an artsy city like Ann Arbor, trendy breakfast spots pop up at every corner. I am most content when catching up with friends the morning after a night out while devouring an omelet with a side of avocado and cheesy hash browns. Even though I may be a tough breakfast critic, breaking down the best breakfast spots in Ann Arbor without bias is essential to find the best of the best.

Angelo's

This diner exudes comfort and homey vibes while still having a line out the door and around the block. Angelo's is a staple, not only to the University of Michigan but also to the whole town of Ann Arbor. A booth filled with hungover college students can be seen next to a family with young kids. Most known for its homemade bread, Angelo's stacks its plates high with my personal favorite, homemade raisin bread. Spread with layers of butter, this warm bread will literally melt in your mouth with sweet and salty goodness.

Angelo's has the classics like eggs prepared to your liking, eggs benedict, and the breakfast combo (eggs, pancakes, and your choice of breakfast meat). However, what I look forward to most when waiting in the twenty-minute line for a table is the deep-fried french toast. Made with the homemade raisin bread and smothered with berries and whip cream, this french toast makes a loud crunch when cutting into it. If you're looking for a casual, classic breakfast, Angelo's is your place.

Fleetwood Diner

Run out of an old trailer with stickers on the walls, Fleetwood Diner is an Ann Arbor institution. Open 24 hours a day, Fleetwood serves up its famous hippie hash and corned beef all day and night. What is this mysterious hippie hash all your friends talk about? Homemade hash browns topped with sauteed green peppers, mushrooms, onions, broccoli, and of course, cheese (feta), the hippie hash does not disappoint. If you're in the mood for a dense meal after a night out or a fast breakfast, you've hit the jackpot with Fleetwood. Beware of the tight corners and possible lines, there are only about five tables in the entire restaurant.

Fred's

Only the most trendy restaurant in Ann Arbor, Fred's offers a variety of smoothies, acai bowls, and toast dishes. Avocado toast fanatics, gear up: Fred's does not mess around. Sourdough bread toasted to perfection topped with avocado slices, pickled onions, and my ultimate favorite, a fried egg, the avocado toast at Fred's is Instagram worthy. If your sweet tooth is kicking in, Fred's has an assortment of acai bowls that are always topped with crunchy granola and fresh fruit. I always start my meal with a refreshing fruit smoothie followed by a main dish. I always feel full AND healthy after leaving Fred's, which is a rare feeling. If you're searching for a fresh breakfast, and an Instagram to post, Fred's is your spot.

Avalon Cafe and Kitchen

Known for their homemade bread and delectable pastries, Avalon Cafe is your go-to for a birthday brunch or a place you make your parents take you when they visit. When looking at the menu, it is hard to decide between the variety of toast dishes or breakfast sandwiches. Either way, you are going to experience warm, fluffy bread. Their toast dishes are topped with various jams or spreads, and of course, they have avocado toast. As if homemade bread wasn't enough, Avalon's roasted fingerling potatoes come as a side for most dishes and look like they should be featured in a cookbook. If you aren't full from your meal, you can head to the cafe and grab a freshly baked pastry. Scones, muffins, vegan cookies, and brownies, Avalon will definitely have you leaving satisfied.

Ann Arbor is filled with delicious breakfast spots that will leave you full for the rest of the day. No matter where you end up eating, you will always leave with a box of leftovers and your pants unbuttoned (maybe that's just me). Ann Arbor breakfast is the perfect pregame for your Sunday afternoon nap.