It's that time of year again! Literally every study spot on campus is occupied, you may or may not have fallen asleep in the library, you've been up all night cramming, you're all out of leftover food your parents gave you, and now eating healthy is the last thing on your mind. If you can relate to any or all of the above, you can trust me when I say that these are the best study foods you'll need in your life. 

1. Blueberries

Not only do these little blue superfoods protect against cancer, heart disease, and dementia, they are also proven to boost concentration and memory. Blueberries contain antioxidants that stimulate the flow of blood and oxygen to the brain. In other words, these little guys will help you focus throughout your most boring readings, so grab a handful and hit the books! 

blackberry, bilberry, sweet, blueberry, pasture, berry

2. Green Tea

Green tea contains a very important ingredient which is known to increase tranquility and release caffeine more slowly into your body. Because the caffeine doesn't hit you all at once, you won't feel jittery, instead you'll notice a mild, stable increase of energy...just the right amount to get you through a long night of studying!

SpoonTip: Amazon.ca has an awesome selection of very affordable green teas! Check them out here

green tea, tea
Nicolecacolaa

3. Dark Chocolate

I love to munch on dark chocolate covered almonds when I study, especially when I know they're secretly good for me! Dark chocolate is proven to increase blood flow in the brain and also contains caffeine, a natural stimulant that will get you through every assigned practice question! Chocolate also releases endorphins into the body which make you feel good, so grab a few squares and get ready study with a smile on your face!

cocoa, chocolate chips, sweet, chips, chocolate
Caroline Ingalls

4. Avocados

Avocados are super good for your health for so many reasons, which makes them one of the best study foods. They are high in fibre, protein, vitamins A, B, C, E, and K... the list goes on. Avocados also contain high quantities of folate, which is essential for cognitive function, memory and overall brain health. Next time you find yourself trying to memorize a stack of cue cards, be sure to make some avocado toast to get you through it!

vegetable, guacamole, avocado
Rebecca Holstein

5. Leafy Greens

Your parents were not wrong when they used to tell you to eat your vegetables (maybe they still do), because leafy greens are superfoods capable of keeping you healthy, focused and more alert. They can also help you recall short and long-term memories and are very high in vitamin K, folate, calcium, and fibre!

SpoonTip: Check out these AMAZING and easy salad recipes by other Spoon writers here, here, and here!

vegetable, lettuce, pasture, salad, cabbage, spinach
Caroline Ingalls

6. Fatty Fish

Fatty fish such as salmon, trout, mackerel, and herring contain high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, which when consuming, can lead to higher levels of cognitive function and brain health. The fatty acid targets areas of the brain that are related to memory, decision making, and sensory perception, which makes fish one of the best study foods out there!

SpoonTip: Try this super easy and yummy baked salmon recipe here!  

lemon, oil, smoked salmon, salmon

7. Flaxseed And Other Nuts

Flaxseed and other nuts are super high in omega-3, fibre, protein, and vitamin B1, which are all essential for brain development and function. These superfoods can be added to yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, salad, and more! Check out other benefits of flaxseed here!

sunflower, pumpkin, vegetable, almond, pumpkin seeds, nut, cereal
Samantha Kadian

So there you have it! The best study foods out there to help you take your study game to the next level! I guarantee that with the help of these brain foods you'll feel more energized, alert, and focused...just in time for exam season. Good luck!