Thai-style ice cream first came to the U.S. in July 2015 to 10 Below Ice Cream in New York City. The ice cream is made by pouring a simple mixture of milk, sugar, and other ingredients like chocolate or fruit onto a frozen plate. 

Lauren Kemble

After being poured, the mixture is chopped and stirred until it is frozen and then spread into a thin layer before being rolled into sections. Finally, the rolls are painstakingly placed into a cup and topped with the customer's choice of toppings.

meat, pork, sausage
Lauren Kemble

The Experience

chocolate
Lauren Kemble

Thai ice cream shops have been popping up around the country. We decided it was time we tried it for ourselves and ventured to one of the first locations in the Bay Area, Icicles. When we first walked up to Icicles, we were greeted by a line that stretched out the door and part way down the street. Keep in mind, it was 3:00 pm on a Sunday afternoon, so we weren't exactly expecting such a crowd. After waiting for almost an hour, we finally made our way inside. 

Icicles (and most other Thai-style ice cream shops) offer your choice of unlimited toppings. The flavors ranged from classics like vanilla or Oreo to more wild creations like avocado or matcha. After ordering, they call your name individually so that you can watch your frozen sweet be made. The personalization and presentation is what sets Thai-style ice cream apart from a normal ice cream shop.

The Final Verdict

coffee, sweet, chocolate, milk, cream
Lauren Kemble

Overall, the actual taste and quality isn't dramatically better than what you find at most other ice cream shops (check out the best one in every state). But, the experience itself is worth the wait and the hype. If you're looking for a fun way to kill some time (and get a delicious dessert out of it) this is your place.