The beauty of sandwiches lies in their versatility and accessibility, making them a popular option for countless sub-lovers around the world. Sandwiches have served as a culinary canvas for a variety of creations, catering to a wide range of palates and food requests, from the classic BLT to the traditional turkey club. However, in the ever-changing world of food trends, the viewpoint on the classic sandwich has developed, providing a new angle on this legendary lunch (or dinner, let’s be honest, it’s perfect for any time of the day). This creative twist on our average sandwich made popular by a TikTok craze, is known as the "sub in a tub" and is redefining what a sandwich is. Spoiler Alert: it's really just a salad.

What is “Sub in a Tub” Anyway?

Hope Zuckerbrow, a health and weight loss advocate, hopped on to the trend of using savoring sandwich ingredients without jeopardizing your dietary demands. Zuckerbrow, also known as @hope_zuckerbrow on TikTok, popularized this tip in her now-viral TikTok by taking the sandwich fillings and loading them through a vegetable chopper without any bread. So in essence, it's a salad that contains all of the bits of your beloved sandwich.

Might be a salad, but let’s think of “Sub in a Tub” differently

The conventional sandwich has long been a go-to meal for many people due to its layers of bread, meats, cheeses, vegetables, and condiments. It has become a culinary icon due to its portability, ease of handheld enjoyment, and intriguing potential for culinary discovery. So although it is basically the same as a salad, its popularity from TikTok comes from its suitability for those who are health-conscious, especially for those who follow a ketogenic diet. Low-carb, high-fat eating is the foundation of the ketosis-inducing diet, making regular sandwiches off-limits. This is where the "sub in a tub" comes into play.

TikTok users have been buzzing about Zuckerbrow’s "sub in a tub" surprise as they acclaim the creative approach to enjoy the flavors of popular sub sandwiches without the extra carbs. Enthusiastic users posted comments such as “I am SOLD” and “You started a trend!” Even now at Jersey Mike's, a straightforward "sub in a tub" request will deliver a deconstructed sandwich with all the components you adore — just look at their TikTok with the caption “Easy way to cut some calories.”

It's a craze that isn't just taking over the TikTok community and your FYPs; it's also making its way into people's homes, motivating keto dieters to whip up their own rewarding, low-carb "sandwich salads."

The "sub in a tub" trend demonstrates the endless possibilities of our cherished sandwich in the ever-evolving world of culinary inventiveness. It's not about tearing down a classic; rather, it's about rethinking it to accommodate changing dietary preferences and demonstrating that excellent flavors have no restrictions, even when you’re essentially just eating a salad.