After six months of working as a Starbucks barista, I was appalled at how much waste is created as a result of the normal functioning of my local Starbucks store. While I am aware that most of the waste produced by food manufacturers has to do with the health laws they are required to follow, there is still a lot that could be done to help fix the problem.

Recycling? What's that?

During my first day at work, I learned to refill the carafes of milk from plastic gallons in the back. When I finished a gallon, I was instructed to throw it in the trash, as opposed to the now common place recycling bins. We go through approximately 50 plastic milk containers per day.

Me when I realized there was no recycling:

Me when I realized there was no recycling

Although most stores have recycling bins, (since Starbucks cups are recyclable,) my store did not seem to see installing one as a priority. Also, all of the cardboard was put in the same dumpster area as the trash, and when I asked if it was recycled no one seemed to know.

Our lack of recycling could be due to policies set up by the landlord, which Starbucks makes sure to note on their website. Starbucks is also trying to find solutions for the recycling of single-use cups. Additional information can be found here. Still, there could be a disheartening amount of cardboard and plastic being thrown away every day at your local Starbucks, greatly hurting the environment. 

Full drinks. In the trash.

Have you ever seen those signs that say "If your drink tastes wrong, we're happy to re-make it?" Yes, we will re-make your drink, multiple times, if you are not satisfied. (Even if your dissatisfaction is because there's not enough foam). However, guess what happens to all the rejected drinks? They're thrown out. Same goes to all the forgotten mobile orders. 

Mmm yeah, we'll make you another. (Or three. True story.)

Pitchers of tea down the drain (and more tragedies)

At the end of the day, if we made too much of any teas or iced coffees, all the leftovers would go straight down the drain. Kind of makes you feel upset about paying $3.50 for that Venti Passion tea, right? Also, if no food pantry came to pick up the baked goods, they were all thrown out. No one came to our store, so I regularly threw out about 20 pastries when closing. It is too bad we weren't allowed to be a little more charitable like the local Dunkin' Donuts and give the pastries out for free.

Also, if no food pantry came to pick up the baked goods, they were all thrown out. No one came to our store, so I regularly threw out about 20 pastries when closing. It is too bad we weren't allowed to be a little more charitable like my local Dunkin' Donuts and give the pastries out for free.

muffins

avrene on Flickr

Another possible occupant of the trash bin :(

....But wait, you can help!

I know that you don't want to give up Starbucks, even if learning about all this waste makes you as depressed as it makes me.

Here's some easy (and not so easy) things you can do:

- Bring in your own cup! Starbucks will also offer you a discount for it!

- If you're going to jchill in Starbucks, ask for a "for here" mug.

dsc_1686

Francesco Crippa on Flickr

- Don't be that person who asks for another drink. (Unless someone actually made it really wrong, in which totally go for it, you probably paid way too much for that anyway.) 

- Set up a pickup for your local food pantry, or senior center, or any place that will take Starbucks day-olds if they aren't being taken already.

- Investigate your Starbucks' recycling policy, and attempt to make a change. This might be a lot of work, but think of the amount of plastic/cardboard/paper you might be saving from the trash every single day.

Or, if you're not up for any of those suggestions, and really just want to justify some unnecessary Starbucks orders, buy a lot of food and iced drinks right before the store closes, and you might have just saved them from the trash. You can treat yourself while maybe treating mother nature too! (But honestly, treat the people at the food pantry before resorting to this.)