It's the most wonderful time of the year, and no, I'm not talking about Christmas being right around the corner. For fans of the hallowed pomegranate, it's peak season for picking one up at the grocery store, local market, and beyond. Running roughly September through December, pomegranate season yields plump, juicy maroon fruits full of gorgeous popping arils. It's always a great idea to bag these arils up for a mid-day snack on campus. Additionally, you can freeze them and add them to smoothies year-round for a unique twist on a typical strawberry banana recipe.  Or, save them for topping off a salad. The ways in which you can use these antioxidant-rich seeds are endless! But first... you have to brave the outer layer of the pomegranate and maybe stain your hands with juice along the way. However, the days of peeling apart a pom like a wild animal might be behind you with these pomegranate-cutting hack ideas from TikTok.

Pomegranate-Cutting Hack #1: Wooden Spoon Method

This method claims to be a mess-free way to get all of those sweet arils out in little to no time. All you have to do is cut your pomegranate in half. Then, face your pomegranate halves, cut side down, above a large bowl. Using a flat wooden spoon, tap the outer skin of the pomegranate and watch the arils easily fall out. 

Pomegranate-Cutting Hack #2: Cutting Out The Top

Looking for a totally satisfying experience? Opt for this fruit-cutting method. First, cut a square near the top of the pomegranate, enough to fully remove that part of its outer layer. Once removed, you'll be able to see the internal white membranes of the pomegranate. Use your knife to slice along the white membranes and external fruit skin, then pull. You'll have perfectly sectioned out aril portions. 

Pomegranate-Cutting Hack #3: The Water Method 

If you're not super sure about your knife skills, no worries! You can test out the water method for yourself. All you have to do is cut the pomegranate in half, then submerge both halves in a bowl of cool water. You can then peel the arils out of the skin and drain your water for clean pomegranate seeds and hands.