As an avid bean eater, I know from personal experience that beans can make or break a meal. Some restaurants have ruined perfectly good tacos and burritos with soggy, flavorless beans, while others have used their beans to transform a normal burrito into a sensational one. One restaurant that I think does an amazing job on all their beans is Chipotle, so I often hesitate when deciding between pinto vs black beans. I taste tested each of them and came to the conclusion that they pretty much taste the same when they are both alone and all mixed together in my stunning burrito bowl. This got me thinking, is there really even a difference?

Pinto beans

Pinto beans are the light brown colored beans that are usually closest to the customer when going through the Chipotle line. According to Chipotle's nutrition page, a serving size of pinto beans is around 4 ounces, which is 130 calories. There are 1.5 grams fat, 210 milligrams of sodium, 8 grams of fiber, 1 gram of sugar and 8 grams of protein. Pinto beans also contain some vitamin C, calcium and iron.  

Black beans

As you can probably guess from the name, black beans are black. They tend to be a little smaller than pinto beans, but have the same texture. Chipotle's website says that a serving size of black beans is 4 ounces, which is 130 calories. There is a total of 1.5 grams of fat, 210 milligrams of sodium, 22 grams of carbohydrates, 7 grams of fiber, 2 grams of sugar and 8 grams of protein. Black beans also contain vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and iron. 

Is one better?

According to the American Heart Association, incorporating any type of bean into your diet can help improve your blood and cholesterol, which may potentially lower your chances of heart disease. Although studies are currently inconclusive, the antioxidants and fiber in beans might make them a cancer preventing food for certain types of cancer. The Bean Institute names colorectal, breast and prostate cancers as types that can be prevented through bean consumption. 

When it comes to nutrition facts, pinto beans and black beans are pretty similar. A 4 ounce serving of each has the same amount of fat, calories, sodium and protein. 

So next time you order from Chipotle, the only thing you really need to think about is if you think one tastes better than the other, and of course, if one will look better in your picture. Despite your choice, if you love beans as much as I do, your meal will be one to remember.