Getting out into nature, enjoying the beautiful weather and eating delicious seasonal produce are all the best parts of spring, and they also happen to be the hallmarks of a picnic! These seven picnic-friendly recipes featuring spring produce celebrate the fresh flavors of spring, and they're easy to take on the go for all of your outdoor adventures this season. 

Avocado Sandwiches

Katherine Weltzien

Though many enjoy avocado year round–in guacamole, on toast or even in smoothies – spring is actually the height of California avocado season. Fortunately, sandwiches are the perfect way to highlight the creamy deliciousness of avocado and they are quintessential picnic fare. To keep it simple and let the avocado flavor shine, try this cucumber avocado sandwich, or take your picnic to the next level with these green goddess sandwiches.

Ribboned Asparagus Salad

asparagus, vegetable
Kathleen Lee

Unlike sandwiches, ribboned asparagus salads are a bit of a departure from traditional picnic food, but this dish absolutely deserves a spot on your picnic blanket. Whether you decide on an ultra-savory shaved asparagus salad (with plenty of parmesan) or a Mediterranean asparagus salad, these gorgeous and flavorful creations are sure to be a hit.

Mushroom & Leek Frittata

omelet, frittata, spinach, omelette
Rose Wong

Frittatas are super simple to make and easy to transport, making them ideal for a picnic brunch. Plus, this dish is a true celebration of spring vegetables, as it features both leeks and mushrooms. This recipe is also wonderfully cheesy and creamy thanks to the addition of crème fraîche and fontina.

Sparkling Lemonade

juice, sweet, lemon, lemonade, citrus, milk, cream

This sweet, sour and fizzy drink is just the thing to sip on as you relax in the sun. Whether you stick with a classic sparkling lemonade recipe or try something a little more adventurous, such as blueberry lemonade or mint lemonade, this refreshing beverage is a picnic essential.

Crudités with Pea Dip

broccoli, vegetable, salad, pepper
Maddie Cole

A vibrant, colorful crudités platter is essential for any complete picnic spread. To make your own, simply slice up your favorite veggies and serve alongside a creamy dip. Hummus and guacamole are both great dip options, but if you want to truly embrace the fresh, bright flavors of spring, this minty pea dip certainly deserves a spot on your picnic blanket.

Broccoli Slaw

Katherine Weltzien

While broccoli salad may have dominated the potlucks and picnic tables of your youth, it is now time for broccoli slaw to take the stage. This creative spin on a traditional broccoli salad passes over the mayo and instead incorporates plenty of acidic elements, resulting in a dish full of fresh, lively flavors. Try this broccoli slaw with miso-ginger dressing, or if you're looking for a heartier dish go with this honey-mustard quinoa broccoli slaw.

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

sweet, pastry, cake, cookie, candy, chocolate, pie, tart
Grace Nguyen

A good picnic has to have a show-stopping dessert, and strawberry rhubarb pie certainly fits the bill. The combination of sweet strawberries and tangy rhubarb is the ultimate celebration of spring, and the perfect way to end your picnic. Try this recipe for a traditional pie (complete with a gorgeous latticed crust) or make these strawberry rhubarb bars if you want a dessert that's even easier to transport and eat.

Whether you're picnicking in your backyard, meeting friends at the local park or going on an adventurous hike, these recipes will keep you fueled and satisfied for all of your outdoor adventures this spring.