Dairy-free ice cream made with substitution ingredients like coconut milk isn't always creamy. Milk, regardless of where it comes from, is often high in fat and sugar. So, dairy-free ice cream isn't actually much healthier than regular ice cream. However, these dairy-free ice cream bites are both creamy and healthy — contrary to most dairy-free stereotypes.  

The Brand

sweet, milk, beet
Allison Curley

Perfectly Free is a brand that focuses on being completely free of the 8 biggest allergens in foods. These include dairy, gluten, soy, peanuts, eggs, fish, shellfish, and tree nuts. The creator of the brand is David Edwards, a Harvard graduate, who wanted to make low calorie and all natural treats that everyone can enjoy.

This is true unless you are allergic to coconut because that is the main ingredient in each bite. While these bites are fairly new to the market, they are already sparking a lot of positive feedback from the big 8 allergy community. This can be seen on the community and social media page on their website. 

The Bites

chocolate, ice cream, cream
Allison Curley

With a creamy, almost marshmallow-like center, these ice cream bites shatter any bad press about dairy-free ice cream.   This fluffy inside is actually even more sweet and creamy than regular ice cream, thanks to the coconut cream.

I sampled the blueberry and salted caramel flavors of the Perfectly Free bites. The outside of the mini bites is supposed to represent the flavor on the box, but honestly the two flavors that I tried were both pretty plain. I enjoyed the caramel flavor more, but both had that amazingly delicious dairy-free center.

Nutrition

bread, coffee
Allison Curley

The bites come in a box with two packages of four bites each, and they seriously taste like they should be more unhealthy than they are. At 30 calories per bite, this dessert's creamy texture combined with the low calorie count is unreal. Not to mention that there is only 5g of sugar per serving.

This is truly a 100% dairy-free and vegan healthy dessert. However, the best part is that they are also uniquely delicious. I have never tasted anything like them, but I really enjoyed the creamy sweetness of the dairy-free ice cream bites. This treat can and should be enjoyed by everyone regardless of allergies and calories.