Porcelain Doll pink pumpkins. Say that five times fast.

There are a lot of pumpkin varieties around, not all orange and some are more ornamental than edible. Since I am always in search of ideas to improve my house, I thought about decorating for Halloween. However, I am not much for ghosts and goblins, so I decided to stick with a festive fall theme. This led me to pumpkins.

A Discovery

As I searched the Internet, dozens upon dozens of sites full of pumpkins came up. Several caught my eye, but the most intriguing were pink pumpkins. Clicking on the site the page was full of pink pumpkins. But these were not dyed or painted. There were these blush-colored gourds that were adorably decorated with glitter, ribbons and lace. Navigating other sites there were some carved out pixie faces, candle holders, or pathway lights. I marveled at the uniqueness while wondering, “Who knew?”

Ever curious I asked several of my friends if they were aware of the Porcelain Doll Pumpkins. Four out the five people looked at me quizzically with a sideway cocking of the head shaking no, followed by a quick “why?” One of the guys responded with, “Well yeah! Martha Stewart grows them.” I know I rolled my eyes at him as I passively mumbled, “Like I am supposed to be familiar with all things Martha Stewart.”

I found them in various sizes at my local Publix plus decorative versions at Home Goods and Ross. Prices start at about $15. Walmart is selling pink velvet pumpkin online for $18.

Pamela Lynn

Pumpkins For Charity

Move over pink ribbons, shirts, and bras, these pink pumpkin beauties come with a message of hope. The Porcelain Doll pumpkin is now on the list of products sold at the beginning of October in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month. Every time a grower sells a Porcelain Doll Pumpkin, 25 cents is donated to the Pink Pumpkin Patch Foundation. While decorating with the pink pumpkins you can feel good about contributing to breast cancer research.

Orange Pumpkins are Old News

I am not saying that there aren’t plenty of good reasons to continuing buying the orange pumpkin varieties. But the Porcelain Doll pumpkin has several shades of pink, cream, peach, even some light green patches of color. One-color fades into the other giving them a tie-dyed effect. The pumpkin exhibits deep ribbing with an almost square appearance and range in size from 8 to 22 pounds.

Pamela Lynn

Not Your Average Fall Decor

So, whether you decorate your windowsill, dining room table, a mantle, or the patio, doing so with these pink pumpkin mash-ups offers an opportunity to donate to a worthy cause.What better way to brighten up your space and get in on a new trend?

If you are interested in more pumpkin ideas read this!