Whether it's coffee, tea, energy drinks, or supplements, caffeine is a college student's most valuable source of survival. It is used by millions of people to increase energy and focus. According to Mayo Clinic, up to 400 mg of caffeine is considered safe consumption, which is roughly the amount of caffeine in four cups of brewed coffee. However, adolescents should actually limit caffeine consumption.

Caffeine is not completely harmful if consumed in moderation. However, consuming high amounts of caffeine (especially in the form of coffee and energy drinks) can potentially lead to quick heartbeat and jittersLuckily, if you're someone who is susceptible to caffeine jitters, there is a chewable alternative called NeuroGum.

What is NeuroGum?

NeuroGum is a gum that will give you clarity, energy, and focus. It is completely sugar-free and aspartame-free. It has green tea caffeine, L-theanine, and other natural ingredients scientifically shown to enhance concentration, alertness, and memory in the easiest way possible (a tablet of gum).

Studies have shown that L-theanine may interact with caffeine to enhance mood, cognition, and your ability to ignore distraction. Also, the caffeine in NeuroGum is absorbed through the mouth while chewing, so it becomes effective about 5X faster than if you were to consume a caffeinated beverage.  

Origin

The company's co-founders, Kent and Ryan, were once adventurous college students and trained in the Japanese Judo Olympic team, painted murals around LA, and trained for the Paralympics. While Kent was pursuing a degree in neuroscience, he began experimenting with different energy supplements. Ryan was earning his degree in chemistry and had a passion for energy-increasing supplements as well. Ryan and Kent made a dynamic duo and created a product that was actually cheaper than a cup of coffee and impressed everyone from brain surgeons to professional athletes. 

My Experience

Sarah Arora

I was excited to try NeuroGum because as a neuroscience major, I am interested in how different forms of caffeine affect the brain. Neurogum generously sent me both flavors: CinnaMental and EnlightenMint (thanks guys!). Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of cinnamon gum, so I enjoyed the mint flavor a lot more. I was able to try it during lectures, while taking exams, while writing essays, and during research lab procedures. It definitely kept me awake but did not give me any jitters. 

Chewing Neurogum worked in some situations better than others. To be honest, it did not really keep me awake during one of my neuroscience lectures (ironically), just because that lecture was 75 whole minutes and pretty boring. However, it did keep me alert and focused during my 90-minute organic chemistry exam and while I spent three hours writing a paper for psychology. 

Disclaimer: I could not possibly skip the coffee, because morning coffee is a staple in my diet that I cannot possibly get rid of. I always chewed Neurogum if I needed a caffeine boost for a short period of time. However, Neurogum helped me limit myself to only one cup a day. 

Is It Right For You?

I recommend Neurogum to those who get jitters from coffee, those who are looking for an alternative, or those who have trouble focusing. It is the perfect boost for short periods of time. It will keep you alert without making your heart race and your body shake.

You can Neurogum on the website or even on Amazon. You can buy individual packs or in bulk (6-pack). Each pack comes with nine tablets of gum that you can punch out and enjoy. For me, one tablet (both its flavor and caffeine effects) lasts about an hour.

#SpoonTip: If you are unsure about caffeine alternatives, check with a health professional to learn more. 

Whether you have a long lecture, essay, exam, or are just feeling extra tired for no reason (been there), try a new alternative to your favorite caffeine beverage. Power your brain cells with NeuroGum because it may just be your new favorite form of energy.