Here’s what’s up in the Spooniverse, according to our members.

Why I Write for Spoon University as a Neuroscience Major

This brainiac's got a passion for food.

I am currently doing research on the RPE mutation T153i, located on the KCNJ13 gene that causes Leber's Congenital Amaurosis in infants. Whaaaaat!? Oh, sorry, I'll speak in English. I'm a neuroscience major at UW-Madison, and you can usually find me in my research lab or at the library with a cup of coffee in hand.

I am also a writer and part of the National Advisory Council for Spoon. Spoon is centered around journalism, photography, marketing, and business. There is nothing having to do with biochemical processes or genetics here. So what place does a science geek like me have around here? And why did I join Spoon? 

1. To Write

coffee
Sarah Arora

Writing is like playing an instrument or singing. You can always get better at it. And no matter what your major is, writing skills can be beneficial. I have a true love for writing. In high school, I was known as the poet who didn't know it. It's some sort of "way with words" that I've had as long as I can remember, and Spoon has helped me improve my skills tremendously. 

2. To Show My Love for Food

Cooking, baking, recipe-hunting, Yelping, Foodstagramming, Food Network-watching. I do it all and I love it. Food brings back memories of my sweet childhood. Cooking helps me relax and makes me feel proud. Food is also adventure, and taking pictures of everything I'm eating helps me look back at all of life's greatest memories. 

3. For Stress Relief

Sarah Arora

Lab report. Essay. Exam. Assignment. Office hours. Starbucks run. Repeat. This is usually what happens in a typical day for us STEM majors. At the end of the day, I just need time to relax. There is nothing better than curling up with my laptop with lemon ginger tea in one hand and writing an article with the other. 

4. To Use My Knowledge and Learn More

cream, cherry, chocolate, cake, sweet, milk, strawberry, ice
Maddie Lanier

I wrote a Spoon article about how fidget spinners aren't so beneficial for your mental health, along with an article about ice cream and how the hypothalamus triggers thirst while you eat it. Wanna know why those little ice crystals form on your frozen food? It's all due to chemistry, my friends. 

These aren't writing assignments I'd get to do in my STEM classes, but I use my knowledge from class to write them. I also get to do further research I wouldn't get to do otherwise, which allows me to learn even more about food and its relation to science.

5. To Share My Memories 

Sarah Arora

Food is truly what brings people together, regardless of any differences we have. Some of my greatest memories with my college friends have been centered around food. We've laughed til we couldn't breathe and shared some of our greatest memories while eating our weight in all the campus favorites. Every time I visit a new place, I "Spoon" about my experience. Food creates memories that you can look back on, no matter where life takes you.

I believe that no matter what your major is, do everything you love. I love doing research, taking challenging courses, and planning for the future. But writing is a way to explore another part of myself, share memories, and reflect on life's greatest gift (food, of course).