This summer I traveled to Italy for the third time, but surprisingly, it was my first time in Italy with my family. Sitting around a table sharing a meal with my family was once a simple routine, but now it carries a deeper significance as we gather in Vico Equense, just outside the bustling city of Naples.

Naples, Italy

There, we sit together, savoring a few glasses of wine and indulging in some of the best food in Naples I’ve had the privilege to taste. However, what truly stood out during my journey was undeniably the cuisine. When in Italy, food inevitably takes the spotlight, and it did not disappoint. I come from a family of restaurateurs, and over the years, I've gained a profound understanding not just of the restaurant industry but also of the artistry of food. There's something truly remarkable about falling in love with the flavors that dance on your taste buds – as silly as that might sound. I have realized that food has the remarkable ability to bring people together, and that is what I cherish most about it. As I've grown older, I've come to realize that food is the thread that connects people. I love engaging in heartfelt conversations over a bowl of pasta. As I reflect on this now, I recognize that a great deal of my life's pivotal moments have transpired around the dinner table. Laughter, tears, love, and the shared experience of facing hardships – all of these have unfolded over a meal, and to me, that is an extraordinarily beautiful thing.

Isabella Heilbronn
Isabella Heilbronn

Aperitivo

One thing I appreciate most about being in Italy was the use of time. Everything was slow, there was no rush. It allowed me to relish in the state I was in, and really absorb it all. After a long day at the beach or walking around shopping, my family and I always found ourselves looking for a little aperitivo, which means a pre-dinner drink. The best part, in my opinion, is the assortment of small snacks that accompany your drinks. It's such a simple yet meaningful touch emphasizing the idea of unwinding and relishing the moment when you're in great company. These snacks usually consist of olives, chips, and nuts (but change depending on where you are).

Isabella Heilbronn

A Day In Capri

One of my favorite meals during my trip was in Capri. Capri in August was extremely hot and loaded with tourists. We spent the day exploring the busy island by cruising on a boat. For lunch, a small boat came to pick us up from our anchored vessel in the water, and it took us to a quaint restaurant located at the tip of the island. I ordered the Spaghetti all'Astice which is spaghetti with lobster. I don’t think I have ever tasted anything so delicious. The pasta was perfectly cooked al dente in a bright pomodoro sauce with the most sweet and tender lobster on top. It was heaven. It really couldn’t get any better.

Isabella Heilbronn

Il Barrio Osteria

Little did I know, it could get better. Our final dinner in Vico Equense was at a beautiful little place in town called Il Barrio Osteria. We sat outside nestled beneath lemon and orange trees with string lights hanging overhead. Being in Italy, I was expecting to be impressed and enjoy all of the food I encountered. But I was not ready for this meal to truly amaze me. We had many courses but the dishes that stood out to me the most were raviolis, truffle pasta, and eggplant parmesan. The raviolis were amazing. So simple but packed so much complexity within each bite. The filling was a mixture of mozzarella and ricotta. They were perfectly peaked on top, with a perfect amount of filling for the most decadent, chewy, puffy bite. I had never had ravioli that was so delicious. Next, the truffle pasta was to die for. It was a special that evening— specifically recommended to us from the chef. It was handmade linguini in a truffle sauce with fresh shaved truffles on top. Sometimes I find truffles overpowering in certain dishes. But this was the most balanced truffle pasta ever. The al dente pasta had just the right amount of texture, complemented by a light yet flavorful sauce. My family and I savored every last bite, and the expression "licking the plate clean" couldn't have been more fitting. During this trip, I affectionately dubbed myself the "eggplant parm connoisseur." Eggplant parm has always been a personal favorite, even back home in the US. However, I'm quite particular about it. I prefer it thin, without the skin, served with a delectable sauce, and with the ideal breading-to-eggplant ratio. This eggplant parmesan exceeded my expectations, meeting all my criteria. It dawned on me that, with all this incredible food, simplicity truly reigns supreme.

Isabella Heilbronn

The highlight of this restaurant was the service, which helped me realize why I enjoy the act of going places to eat. It’s because of the amazing connections you make along the way. We got to know the owner of this restaurant and he shared with us how he got to where he is now. It made me realize that the world really is small, and that people across the world have things in common. The reason why I think food is so important is because it brings people together. It creates memories that I won't ever forget. It’s an experience that for the longest time, I took for granted, but that my trip to Italy helped me appreciate.