I am big on telling the truth. The truth is: I have only seen the trailer of Julie and Julia. The truth is: I am actually terrified to live on my own for the first time. The truth is: I have never cooked on the regular before. The truth is: I love Chrissy Teigen. So with all that out of the way, let's dig in.

Introductions

My name is Lily, I am a rising sophomore, and this summer I decided to enroll in a summer class and move to Williamsburg six weeks earlier than planned. The lease on my apartment had already started, so when I signed up for the class about four months ago, it seemed like a good idea. I still think it is a good idea, but now I'm more aware than ever that I truly will be on my own. My parents will be accessible at home, but my three roommates aren't due to arrive for six weeks. Plus, a very small portion of the student population is present during the months of July and August. To say I'm nervous would be an understatement. My main goal for these six weeks is to keep myself occupied. I already have class built into my schedule - what else will I do to to pass the time?

I asked myself: what do I like to do? The answer: eat.

About a month ago, I was looking for something to watch on Netflix, and that is where I came across the movie. THE movie. Julie and Julia. All I had to do was watch the trailer and BAM the idea hit me. I should choose a modern cookbook (there is no modern Julia Child because no one will ever live up to that queen) and attempt to cook as many recipes as possible while I'm on my own. The only difference is I left it up to you - the readers - on what cookbook I get to use.

I handpicked four cookbooks I thought to be relevant to our era, and using Instagram's handy dandy story tools, you all voted on one. The results came to show I will be getting to know Chrissy Teigen a bit better this summer, which is funny because I totally bought some plates and bowls from her line at Target.

Lily Bartholomaus
Lily Bartholomaus

My Own Thoughts

I was secretly rooting for either Cravings or Vegan Bowls by Vegan Souls, so I was happy with the outcome. I found Vegan Bowls by Vegan Souls intriguing because I have recently become more conscious about sustainability and the environment. I've begun to transition some animal products out of my life, and I would have loved to combine this project with learning more about clean eats. I don't think I need to explain why I was excited about Chrissy Teigen's Cravings; I mean c'mon, she is literally one of the funniest and most inspiring women on the internet.

This post has been an introduction of sorts, a little sneak peak at what's to come. If you want to continue reading about a dramatic 19-year-old's attempts at cooking - and her thoughts on living on her own - stay tuned for the next post.