Colorado voters, revel in your devil’s lettuce for the passing of Initiative 300, sanctioning Denver the first city in the nation where marijuana can be used bars and eateries. Thanks weed Jesus for blessing this city with your toking gifts of state law. So fellow Coloradans, break out your bongs! Public munching is no longer taboo. 

Living in Colorado, I was naturally interested in this bills effects and the caveats behind it. Public drug use definitely has its advocates and opponents. So, I did some investigating and here's what I found out...

About Initiative 300

First, smoking is still banned indoors but can be consumed indoors as long as it is not smoked—edible-lovers rejoice.

Second, you have to bring your own supplies and restaurants will provide no marijuana paraphernalia.

Third, any interested bar must show neighborhood support and acquire city permits. So, it could be awhile until you can actually toke at your favorite Denver eatery

Against Initiative 300

Opponents of the measure have trepidations that Denver restaurants are ill-equipped to properly regulate pot use like alcohol. Fears reside in the idea that restaurants and bars are not capable of protecting the public from these slow-moving, Dorito-fiending menaces. Public marijuana use will remain more restricted than alcohol use.

For Initiative 300

Proponents of the proposition see the positives behind the consumption law. Advocates emphasize that the goal is to provide adults with a private place to use cannabis so they are not consuming in public. The initiative caters to Colorado tourists and adults who may not want pot in front of their children or tenants whose landlords ban marijuana use

Despite Initiative 300's restrictions, Denver is still well on its way to revolutionizing restaurant and bar culture. Only time will tell if the introduction of a new controlled substance in public will have positive or negative effects on Colorado communities. But hey... smells like 4/20 came early this election season.