The New Year has officially begun, which means it's the perfect time to make some resolutions. If you're planning on changing up what you eat, you may be considering a variety of diets. Trendy diets such as the paleo and keto diets are receiving a lot of attention lately, but are they really the right options for you? 

The Paleo Diet

apple, juice, sweet, pasture
Santina Renzi

Based on the foods that were available to eat during the Paleolithic era which began over 2 million years ago, the paleo diet focuses on lean meats, fish, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds. The diet does not include foods like dairy and grains. This means that you have the ability to eat more fruits, which have a higher sugar content than vegetables, as these sugars contribute to your daily carbohydrate intake.

Paleo diets are known to be one of the more successful and trusted diets by health professionals since foods that are high in fat and carbohydrates, such as cheeses and milk, are not included. This diet is not for everyone, though. If you are dairy free due to lactose intolerance, this diet may be perfect for you. If you like to include a moderate amount of dairy in your daily intake, such as yogurt, lean cheeses, and milk, then you may want to consider a different plan. 

The Keto Diet

cream, sweet, milk, jam, caramel, chocolate, honey, peanut butter
Maggie Gorman

The ketogenic (keto) diet is based upon foods that are low in carbohydrates and high in fat. Consuming fewer carbohydrates allows fat to be burned more efficiently as the body is constantly in a “fat-burning” state known as ketosis. This diet restricts a person from eating fruits as they are high in natural sugars, which are still considered carbs. Wheat based products like rice, cereal, pasta, and breads have to be avoided as well. Those “low-fat” and diet products that are highly advertised in your local grocery store don't make the cut either as they are processed and usually high in sugar and other artificial supplements.

With that being said, this diet is definitely hardcore and not for everyone. The keto diet has been linked to helping people who are at high risk for diabetes and hypertension as blood-glucose levels drop. While many people swear by the keto diet, others do not agree with its structure as it is a diet based upon exclusivity rather than inclusivity and it cuts out many major food groups in the food pyramid. In addition, many health professionals and professional athletes are not fans of this diet as the addition of fat to the diet can increase a person's chances for cardiac issues.

Picking a Plan

apple, pasture, bananas, pears, oranges, fruits, Fresh, farmer's market
Caroline Ingalls

So what diet do you choose, if any? If neither of these diets seem like the right plan for you or you do not like the idea of committing to a dietary meal plan, don't worry. Most health professionals continue to preach that a balanced diet based upon the main food groups that make up the food pyramid is still the best way to go. This allows a person to make a diet plan that is more specific to themselves and allows them to have a more positive attitude about making a lifestyle change. 

A well-rounded diet is one that is based on inclusivity and variety, and it starts with fueling your body with what makes you feel good. Regardless of whether you choose to start a diet or not, remember that eating and food should be fun rather than stressful!