I am not a morning person by any stretch of the word. The idea of getting out of bed before the sun is shining makes me dread starting my day. But university is pretty much the last time daily 10:00 AM wake-ups are ever going to be socially acceptable. So I set out to test the best morning life hacks. After a long search on the internet and many discussions with my housemates, who are somehow able to be alert, alive and enthusiastic at a crisp seven in the morning, I started my challenge. 

As my undergrad days are drawing to a close sooner than I care to admit (insert existential crisis here), I sought out to become a functional human by making mornings easier to prepare myself for whatever lies ahead for me following my years in school.

1) Making breakfast the night before

blueberry, cereal, sweet, milk, yogurt, muesli, berry, oatmeal, porridge
Becky Hughes

Making a yummy breakfast for myself to enjoy the next morning took one thing off my to-do list before my 8:00 AM lecture. There are so many great recipes for easy breakfasts that you can put together overnight, making mornings easier. Overnight oats are great because they have both carbs and protein, which are two key ingredients necessary for a much-needed boost of energy when the sun is still below the horizon.

2) Keep it consistent

coffee, tea, espresso, milk, cappuccino, bed, cozy, Morning, mug
Caroline Ingalls

As painful as it was, waking up at a similar time on weekends and weekdays was actually super helpful. After about a week and half of waking up between 7:00 and 7:15, my body began waking me up automatically at this time, making mornings way easier. This allowed for a much more gentle wakeup than the dreaded iPhone radar alarm. 

3) Schedule something important

bagel, cheese, bread, sandwich, bun
Emma Nosseir

Scheduling something important first thing in the morning, that you absolutely cannot miss, was an amazing way to literally force me out of bed in the morning. For me, it was the opening shift at the coffeehouse I work at, which meant I had to be there, ready to work at 7:30 am. Although it definitely took some getting used to, by the time my shift was over, I had already accomplished so much in my day and it was only 11:00 AM. This morning life hack definitely paid off. 

4) Stay hydrated

water, phone, IPhone, music, earphones, working out, Work Out, cardio, exercise, Exercising, fitness
Denise Uy

Look, it's a tough world out there. The bees are going extinct at a rapid pace, climate change is real, and there's apparently an avocado shortage. Drinking water is one of the best things you can do for your body, and having a big sip of the stuff first thing in the morning gets your insides moving and kickstarts your morning easier.

#SpoonTip: Use a reusable water bottle to seriously lower your environmental impact! 

5) Make your freaking bed

Bedroom, frame, bed and furniture HD photo by Christopher Jolly (@chris_jolly) on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

My mom was right about this one too. Making my bed first thing in the morning made me way less likely to get back into bed. This little feeling of productivity made me want to chase it even more, and that set me up for a great pattern for the rest of the morning. Just do it, people; make your bed.

When push comes to shove, we're all going to have to set up a consistent morning schedule eventually, and these morning life hacks really helped me attempt to become a real adult. Let's face it—showing up to an 11:00 AM lecture in sweatpants isn't always going to cut it.