We all know Trader Joe's is known for its unique products, fun packaging, and super friendly employees. Every week, I walk the five aisles of the store in Ann Arbor and buy the exact same products: some produce, Greek yogurt, cauliflower gnocchi, trail mix, dark chocolate peanut butter cups, nothing crazy. But I always see those small jars of strange flavored jams or food combinations that do not seem quite right and wonder what they taste like. Here are the top 7 weirdest foods at Trader Joe's I found and my personal reactions.

1. Birthday Cake Popcorn

Grace Miller

I should have guessed that these were going to taste like someone had dumped several gallons of sugar into the mixing bowl to create this super sweet but incredibly cute snack. I only ate about three pieces before maxing out but I recommend this for anyone needing a stronger sugar fix than kettle corn can deliver. 

2. Cornbread Crisps

Grace Miller

In my opinion, the best part about cornbread is the moist cake-like texture mixed with the crispy edges and corn bits so I was wary of this crunchy snack. My take? They tasted exactly like cornbread but give you the satisfying crunch of a chip. I enjoyed them with TJ's Spinach Kale Greek Yogurt Dip (try that product if you haven't!) but they would also go well with cheese!

3. Crispy Crunchy Okra

Grace Miller

Trader Joe's has a ton of veggie snacks, such as dehydrated carrots and crispy broccoli florets, but I was most intrigued by the okra. Okra has a slimy consistency that is usually a huge turnoff for many, but these crunchy snacks definitely delivered a strong, heavy okra flavor without the weird texture. Boy, they really taste like okra so beware (and they could use some salt) but they are a great alternative to chips!

4. Blood Orange Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cheese

Grace Miller

I really didn't know whether to expect the ricotta to taste like straight cheese or something more like cheesecake. What I got was right in between. With an intense orange color but a surprisingly pleasant and aromatic flavor, it paired incredibly well with TJ's Pumpkin Cranberry Crisps, although I really had to slather it on to taste the flavors clearly.

5. Mini Gummy Bears on a Chocolate Pool Day

Grace Miller

This is the product of some Trader Joe's employee having way too much time on their hands and creating a fun but completely unnecessary treat that combines two of the best candies: chocolate and gummy bears. My verdict: keep gummy bears away from blocks of chocolate. The bears were hard, impossible to chew, and thrown in randomly, making it difficult to break into even squares. But once again, it boasts super cute packaging and is a fun idea.

6. Banana Date Nut Bread Crisps

Grace Miller

I am a big fan of banana bread but less of a fan of banana date nut bread. Like the cornbread crisps, I was concerned that the lack of moist cakey texture would take away from this snack. First reactions: these crisps have a stronger, more intense banana flavor than actual bananas which was a little off putting. Although I am impressed by the enhanced banana essence, I would not buy them again.

7. Pancake Bread

Grace Miller

Hot take: this may be one of the best products I have ever purchased at Trader Joe's. Pancake bread is the best mashup of pancakes and cinnamon coffee cake that I have experienced. The soft texture and maple syrup flavored topping makes this product more like a cake rather than a bread. I would definitely eat this everyday for breakfast and dessert.

Grace Miller

As far as Trader Joe's products go, I would definitely buy the pancake bread and cornbread crisps again. As for the rest, I think I would rather spend my college student budget on Cookie Butter, frozen Japanese fried rice and Popcorn with Herbs & Spices!