Doughnuts are a wonderful creation. Whether they're frosted, glazed, stuffed, or used as a base for a breakfast sandwich, you really can't go wrong. Even doughnut holes have become a popular treat. What has become one of the most popular desserts in the United States has fallen victim to a major debate: what is the correct way to spell doughnut? Donut? Doughnut? I donut know.

A Brief History Lesson

Nobody knows the definitive origins of doughnuts, but it is believed that they were brought to Manhattan by the Dutch in the 19th century when they were called olykoeks, or "oily cakes."

Back then, doughnuts were flavored with lemon, nutmeg, and cinnamon and had hazelnuts or walnuts in the center. Their raw, dough-like consistency led them to be named "doughnuts."

Around World War I, doughnuts became increasingly popular, and by 1920, NYC had seen its first ever doughnut machine. Bakeries and doughnut shops began popping up all over the United States, including the beloved Krispy Kreme. 

Now, doughnuts are being made in virtually every flavor combination, shape, and size you could dream of...including being used as a foundation for a luscious doughnut-ice cream sandwich.

In 1948, a small doughnut shop had opened in Quincy, Massachusetts: Open Kettle. Two years later, it had been renamed: Dunkin Donuts. Quickly, Dunkin became one of America's favorite doughnut spots, allowing them to trademark the catchy slogan "America runs on Dunkin."

Ok...I Donut Care About Their History!

But here is why you should care! Ever since the renaming of Open Kettle almost 70 years ago, America has been in SHAMBLES. The shorter version of the delicious, fried dessert had become even more popular, which can be pinpointed to when the first Dunkin had opened its doors in 1950.

Everyone is so quick to correct people when they use the wrong form of your/you're or their/they're/there, but what about the wrong form of doughnut/donut? Where you at grammar police? What is the correct way to spell doughnut?!

Unsatisfying, but Truthful

Unfortunately, among my brutal hours of research and restless nights trying to decode the proper truth for the doughnut community, there is no right or wrong answer.

Most grammarians would beg to differ that "doughnut" is the correct form of the word, but donut is also the correct spelling, as recognized by Merriam-Webster. Doughnut is definitely more popular on a global scale, whereas donut is a popular American take on the word.

#SpoonTip: If for some reason you're writing a scholarly article about doughnuts, then doughnuts is the way to go. If you're just texting a friend about your love for donuts, "donuts" will do just fine.

Personally, I think doughnuts should be spelt doughnuts. When you bite into a fresh, sweet doughnut, you most likely let out a satisfying "ugh," (no...only me?) so, why leave the "-ugh" out of donut?

Doughnuts are crucial members of the dessert community, and they should be treated with utmost respect – not downgraded to a shorter "donut" version.

Consistency is Key

Like most things you do in life, whatever you do, be consistent. Whether you'll be joining me on the side of #TeamDoughnut or joining the Dunkin Donuts "donut" bandwagon, remain loyal to your party and keep your spelling of doughnut/donut constant.

No matter which side you choose, I think we can all agree that doughnuts have positively impacted all of our lives in one way or another, and we can all be appreciative of their doughy, fried greatness.