Oh the California roll—interesting, yet basic. It's the beginner level for all things sushi. I can't say that I'm too keen on eating raw fish, but I definitely like to try things before I knock it. The first time I had a California roll was in the 9th grade, after a club meeting. We were given the ingredients to make it and a general idea of how to go about it. As you can see below, my "sushi" didn't come out as well as I'd hoped. I also didn't feel so good after eating it. 

Imani Williams

The second time I tried Cali rolls was my first semester in college. I'd figured enough time had gone by, so my opinion might have changed, but I was wrong. It was just as nasty as I'd remembered. At least this time, I didn't feel sick after eating it. From that moment on, I knew that I could never eat sushi again, and here are three reasons why.

1. The Way It Looks

sushi, seafood, rice, fish, salmon, tuna, shrimp, wasabi
Alex Vu

Have you ever heard people say that you eat with your eyes first? Well I believe that's very true. There's nothing visually appealing about rolled up fish flesh in a plastic container. What makes it worse is when it's been sitting there for a while and condensation starts to form on the plastic cover—yuck! Freshly made sushi is a *little bit* more forgiving because that whole plastic element isn't there. 

2. The Texture

sushi, salmon, sashimi, fish, seafood, rice, tuna, meat, wasabi

If you think about it, sushi has a lot going on. Remember, the only kind of sushi I'm familiar with is a California Roll. There's minimal ingredients that individually aren't that bad (not including the fish). But when you put them together, that's when it gets gross to me. You've got the cold stickiness of the rice and the mushiness of the avocado, the crunchiness of the cucumber and the chewiness of the fish. It's just too much for me. Of the two times I tried sushi, I could never stomach more than one roll because of the texture. The taste was nothing to write home about either. 

3. The Smell

sushi, seafood, salmon, fish, rice, tuna, shrimp, sashimi, wasabi, caviar
Eunice Choi

Now this is just a minor grievance I have with my fishy foe. It stinks. Is it me or does sushi have a very distinct odor? It's not good. Sushi is one of those foods where I can tell that someone is eating and not be in the same room as them. It's like me with peanut butter (I'm very allergic). I can't even think of a way to relieve the smell or at least not make sushi smell as intense. Is there an ingredient that someone could use? Tell me because I'd love to know.

These are just a few reasons why I could never eat sushi again. It's just not for me. I like cooked fish, like tuna, but I just can't stomach it raw. I think what makes me nervous is the potential of getting sick. The fear is so real that I might actually be a hypochondriac. Don't get me wrong, if sushi is your favorite food and you feel good before/during/after you eat it, that's wonderful; to each his own. However, I couldn't break bread, er... break fin with you. We could definitely chat over some Chunk Light if you want, though. I'll bring the crackers!