Without realising it, all of us make subconscious decisions every single day that actually hurt our environment—like throwing recyclables into the regular trash or purchasing single-use plastics. Tons of these decisions occur when we eat, whether we're cooking at home, eating out, or grabbing a coffee on our way to class. With a few simple, eco-friendly switches, you can make sure that your mealtimes and snacks aren't hurting the planet.

Carry a water bottle and a travel mug

Single use plastics are very quickly killing the planet. It's calculated that Americans purchase 150 billion plastic water bottles and 500 billion disposable cups every year. Those numbers could be majorly dwindled down if more people simply invested in a reusable water bottle and a reusable coffee mug. There are tons to choose from in lots of different price ranges, so there's no excuse not to have one! Plus, they save you heaps of money and are super convenient.

My favourite water bottle: S'well makes awesome water bottles. They're cute and they keep your water cold for hours.

My favourite travel mug: This one from Frank Green is amazing, because it has a chip inbuilt into it which allows you to load credit onto your account and simply tap your cup onto the card reader when you're paying for your coffee! No more awkwardly fumbling around in your purse or pockets to find your cash.

Go meat-free

Going meat free for even just one day a week is a great (and delicious) way to reduce your carbon footprint. Vegetarianism helps limit greenhouse gas emissions, save water, and prevent deforestation. It's easy and healthy to give up meat; if you're feeling like you've got vegetarianism down pat, try giving veganism a go!

My favourite vegetarian recipe: I love this black bean burger recipe; it's easy to make and you probably have all the ingredients already in your pantry.

Plus some awesome meat substitutes!

Use beeswax wrap (and a lunchbox!)

Beeswax wrap is an eco-friendly alternative to cling wrap—plus it's super cute! Use it to wrap food or cover dishes. It even makes for a really thoughtful gift for a loved one, especially if you hand-make it yourself! They're easy to wash and last for ages, meaning you don't have to replace them often. Once you've wrapped your sandwiches, don't forget to put them in a lunchbox or a recyclable paper bag instead of a single-use plastic bag!

Where to buy beeswax wraps: Bee Wrappy makes affordable and adorable wraps, with tons of different sizes and designs to choose from.

And here's a cute lunchbox to invest in, while you're at it!

Use reusable cutlery and straws

If you're someone who likes to buy their lunch (or maybe you just like to bring lunches that require more than just your hands to eat), you should definitely get yourself a set of reusable cutlery and straws. There are tons of different straws out there to choose from: metal, glass, rubber, and even pasta. Reusable cutlery is cute, hygienic, and easily portable. Win, win, win.

Reusable straws: These ones from Flora & Fauna are super cheap and great quality.

Reusable cutlery set: This set is affordable, comes with a handy carry case, and includes chopsticks.

Bring your own bags to the grocery store

Last year, supermarkets in Australia announced that they would no longer be providing free, single-use plastic grocery bags at checkout. Instead, they encouraged shoppers to bring their own bags from home or purchase sturdier, long-lasting plastic bags at checkout for 15 cents apiece. This opened up a huge market for reusable bags, and now you can get bags in tons of different materials and designs. Keeping your reusable bags in the boot of your car makes sure you never forget them on your way out of your house, and it saves the planet from so much harmful plastic.

My favourite shopping totes: Melbourne-based company Cheerio Paper Co has great quality bags with adorable designs on them.

Making small, eco-friendly changes in your routine doesn't have to be difficult or expensive. Tiny adjustments will make a huge impact on the environment, and will likely save you money in the long run. Plus, it just feels good to do good!