Meatless Monday is a constantly growing movement. Most people understand that it's a good thing, but it's hard to say exactly why. Eliminating meat at least once a week has a huge impact on not only the environment, but your own personal health as well.

Why Meatless Mondays?

The rules for Meatless Monday are simple: Don't eat meat on Monday. The benefits seem straightforward too: It's good for you and the environment. Let's break it down so you can see exactly why this is true.

How it Benefits You

There are boatloads of health benefits for cutting out meat at least once a week. Here are just a few of them:

1. Your Diet Becomes More Nutritious

Instead of just avoiding mean entirely, it's important to substitute your protein. Getting your protein from plants adds a whole bunch of great nutrients into your body, like fiber and iron. It also reduces the amount of saturated fats in your body.

2. Save Money

Meat is generally more expensive than its Meatless Monday replacements, like veggies, grains, and legumes (like beans and lentils). By switching to these options once a week, you'll easily save some money while being healthier.

3. Reduce Chances of Scary Health Issues

While red meat isn't the best thing for your heart anyway, replacing meat with beans, veggies, and grains lowers your risk for a myriad of health issues, like cardiovascular disease, coronary heart disease, and stroke.

How it Benefits the Environment

It's not always all about you, and that's okay. With Meatless Mondays, you're helping the environment, too.

1. Less Greenhouse Gases

Livestock and meat production produce so much more greenhouse gas than plants, specifically vegetables. Greenhouse gases tend to stop heat from leaving the atmosphere and send it back to Earth. This is why global warming is a thing.

2. No Wasting Water

Livestock need a lot more water than plants do. Eating plants also helps reduce the water consumption of people. We need water, and this is an easy way to conserve it.

3. Limit Fuel Necessities

Just like water, producing meat takes up a lot more fossil fuels than grains. Feeding a huge portion of grain to livestock also is a bit counterproductive, since we could be eating the grain ourselves without wasting resources to produce it.

In closing, we've all learned that there's a ridiculous amount of benefits to Meatless Monday. There are so many more reasons to participate in Meatless Monday, and you can learn more here, here and here, which are the sources where I found my information for this article. Aren't you psyched for next Monday?