There are many theories behind coffee and whether it is good for you or not. Some people claim that it gets them to wake up in the morning while others, like myself, are convinced it does nothing. So what is the actual scientifically proven truth?

Background

To start, it is important to learn what the adenosine molecule is. This adesnosine molecule is pretty much what makes us sleepy. Throughout the day our bodies produce more and more of this molecule which is what makes us get tired. 

coffee, milk, cream, espresso
Kristine Mahan

Summary of Science

So how does this have to do with coffee? The caffeine molecule is pretty much the same shape and size as the adensoine molecule therefore, your body can't tell the difference between the two. 

This causes the adensoine molecules to be temporarily blocked when the caffeine molecules are inside one's body. The amount of time that caffeine will stay in your system depends on how much you drink. However, typically the spike is between 30-60 minutes after consumption. 

The rush of the blocked adensoine coming into your body after the caffeine is gone is what causes you to "crash" later on in the day. 

Workingout on Caffeine

There are many benefits to drinking coffee before a good gym session. Many studies state that drinking caffeine before going to the gym, makes your workout more than twice the amount effective. For example, Sports Medicine published a report where they stated that caffeine is a "powerful ergogenic aid," and that atheltes can "train at a greater power output and/or train longer" after caffeine consumption.

Numerous studies show that one of the most effective ways to maximize your workout is to drink coffee beforehand. A report published in Sports Medicine stated that caffeine is a "powerful ergogenic aid," and makes clear that athletes can "train at a greater power output and/or train longer" after caffeine consumption. 

Studying on Caffeine

Even if you do not personally drink coffee, I am sure you know a numerous amount of people who do. Whether it is a cup black coffee, a can of soda, or hot tea, as long as it contains caffeine it has the power to enhance your memory after 24 hours after it has been consumed.

Therefore, whether you believe in the power of coffee or not, it is a proven fact that coffee helps one gain energy in numerous ways. So next time you need motivation to get out of bed, maximize your workout, or cram for a test, go get yourself a cup of coffee (or anything containing caffeine)!