According to the National Sleep Foundation, 30% to 40% of adults say they suffer from occasional insomnia, and 10% to 15% say they have trouble sleeping all the time. So, in other words, you’re not the only one staring at your ceiling or watching Disney movies on Netflix late into the night. Want to prevent another Harry Potter marathon? Try adding magnesium to your life. One of the many benefits of magnesium is that it relaxes the muscles. 56% of Americans don’t consume enough magnesium, which is probably why we’re always so stressed out. Researchers have shown that even minor magnesium deficiencies can prevent the brain from relaxing at night. The recommended amount is 400mg per day, so check out this magnesium empowered list to fend off another nightly date with Mulan and Mushu.

Untitled

Photo by Christin Urso

Halibut

3-oz. of halibut contains 90mg of magnesium. If you’re into seafood this is a great way to start your journey toward sleep! Halibut also contains tryptophan which is notorious for being the culprit of sleepiness at the thanksgiving table, but is tryptophan really to blame? Yes, the body uses tryptophan to make seratonin which can help to create a feeling of well-being and relaxation. When levels of serotonin are high they cause a better mood and better sleep.

Untitled

Photo by Christin Urso

Black eyed peas

1/2 cup of black eyed peas has 45mg of magnesium. Canned or dried, black eyed peas are easy to cook and would be a perfect side dish at dinner. Post food baby, say hello to the Z’s.

spinach

Photo by Sean Koetting

Spinach

Like Halibut, spinach also contains tryptophan, which aids in sleep and makes you feel happy! With 75mg of mag, a side of spinach with dinner is a great way to up your magnesium levels before bed.

Untitled

Photo by Christin Urso

Almonds

Who doesn’t like almonds? They’re good and good for you (in moderation of course). With 80mg of magnesium in 10-oz., these nuts are nutrient dense and work wonders for your body; but avoid the sugar-coated kind! A sugar rush wont speed up the sleep process.

Untitled

Photo by Christin Urso

Cashews

Cashews share many of the same benefits as almonds with 75mg of magnesium in 10-oz. Be cautious of candy coatings and added sugars. Eat these babies raw for the sleepy effect.

Want to really pack a punch in your bedtime snack routine? Try this bed time trail-mix: 1/4 cup cashews and almonds combined with 1/8 cup pumpkin seeds or banana chips with no added sugar. Pack a few Ziploc baggies beforehand to prevent overeating and snack 30 minutes to 1 hour before bed.

Avoid tossing and turning like the actors in bad mattress commercials. Add magnesium to your diet and the only time you’ll see Disney characters are in your dreams.