People might not acknowledge it, but depression is a serious illness (that happens to be as common as the common cold), capable of maiming even the healthiest and most content of individuals. It constitutes a dark and melancholy phase, wherein one feels like they are being sucked into a vortex of sadness, pain and loneliness, feelings that one might struggle with forever. It is a battle with one’s inner demons, demons that refuse to let even a speck of happiness enter our lives. Depression can come to us at our worst and it can come to us at our best, many a times with no legitimate cause behind it. All that we should be aware of is that it can strike anybody, anytime, anyplace and that fighting it requires work from all possible directions. It involves making significant changes in one’s lifestyle, which obviously also includes one’s diet. Yes. Diet too. It might seem stupid, insignificant and unimportant and it might not help us feel better in an instant, but making significant changes in our diet can aid our overall treatment. Here is a list of 7 foods that we must try in order to heal ourselves.

1. Turkey

cereal
Rachel Davis

Turkey, or any kind of animal protein consists of tryptophan, which helps make serotonin, a hormone that happens to impact every part of our body, from our emotions to our motor abilities. It also has the potential to reduce depression and anxiety. Hence, try to eat something with protein (maybe a juicy, delicious and healthy smoked turkey sub) several times a day and especially when you feel flaccid, in order to help serotonin production and make you feel alert, active and a whole lot better.

2. Carrots

julienne, carrot, pasture, vegetable
Kristine Mahan

Depression contributes to cell damage, which can be prevented by incorporating antioxidants in our diet. Thus, including beta carotenes like carrots, peaches and pumpkins in our diet becomes super important. Beta carotenes are a breed of antioxidants that hinder the production of free radicals that damage our skin and brain cells and thus should be a part of our staple diet. So, what are you waiting for? Go dig into that carrot cake asap!

3. Walnuts

sweet, meat, nut, walnut
Torey Walsh

Walnuts are rich in vitamin as well as antioxidants, that prevent unnecessary cell damage. A regular dose of walnuts will make you look and feel good in no time!

4. Avocados

guacamole, sweet, vegetable, avocado
Jessica Kelly

We all know that avocados are simply delicious, but other than that, they are also rich in healthy fats or oleic acids, that are necessary to make our brain function. Avocados also contains 4 grams of protein, higher than other fruits, and are filled with vitamin K, different kinds of vitamin B, vitamin C, and vitamin E12. Finally, they are low in sugar (which should be avoided at all costs in this condition) and rich in fibre. Well, now we have all the more reason to dig into that heavenly avocado toast. After all, it is going to help us think straight, isn’t it?

5. Beans

vegetable, asparagus
Julia Rosenbaum

Beans and peas are rich in fiber, which stabilizes blood sugar levels due to its slow digestion process. High levels of sugar can intensify feelings of depression and anxiety, which is why it is absolutely essential to keep them in control. So even if you do not want to, finish those beans on your plate right now!

6. Cheese

slices, pepper jack, cheese, milk, dairy product, dairy
Caroline Ingalls

Cheese isn’t just food, it is food for the gods and nobody can argue otherwise. Cheese, If consumed in the right manner and amount can help regulate the levels of selenium in our body, the deficiency of which has often been linked with mood disorders. Here are some interesting fruit and cheese combinations you should try in order to get those selenium levels up.

7. Oranges

lemon, sweet, blood orange, citrus, grapefruit, juice

Oranges are rich in vitamin c, another important antioxidant. Antioxidants help reduce the production of free radicals that destroy our cells. A freshly squeezed glass of orange juice will revitalize you in the truest sense of the word. Other sources of vitamin c include strawberries, blueberries and Kiwi.

You might feel all alone and completely helpless, but just remember the fact that you are loved and that this too shall pass. Just breathe, let go and tread onto that path for recovery. To those who still believe that it is a farce, wake up. Depression is real.