As students, we are constantly craving junk food. Whether it be from that Snapchat story your friend posted last night of their Mel's milkshake or the boredom of midterm season; junk food is so easy to turn to, however, there are many healthy snacks which can satisfy those cravings instead.

1. Strawberries

Strawberries are both refreshing and sweet. Their natural sugars can act as a healthy snack and quick pick me up especially after a long day of studying. Strawberries are easy to pack and take with you to campus. All you have to do is wash them, and if you are feeling creative, cut them into cool shapes. 

strawberry
Lisa Russo

2. Peanut Butter/ Almond Butter on Apples or Bananas

Any sort of nut butter or substitute has great protein which will fill you up and hopefully stop you from craving that muffin you saw earlier. Simply add nut butter to apples or bananas so you can get in that extra fiber and natural sugar. 

peanut butter, peanut, apple slice, Nut butter, almond butter, apples and peanut butter
Julia Gilman

3. Guacamole and Multigrain Crackers 

Who doesn't love avocados? You can either create a fancy guacamole or, if you need to get back to studying quickly, just mash up an avocado and eat it with multigrain crackers. Multigrain crackers may sound unappetizing but taste delicious and provide great nutrients. Some brands I love to pair with avocado are Tostito's Multigrain Nachos and Multigrain Wheat Thins. 

vegetable, guacamole, herb, sauce, salad

4. Mango

Mango is one of my favourite fruits as it is sweet, juicy, and can easily quench your craving for sugar. The one reason people often shy away from Mangoes is because they are difficult to cut and peel. You can try out this article to learn an easy way to cut your mango. 

mango, mangos, Fruit, Healthy, fruits, eating mango

5. Smoothie

A smoothie can act as a substitute for that Mel's milkshake or ice cream from the dining hall. Even add some avocado for extra protein and creaminess. If you are looking to reduce your sugar even more, add in Almond or regular milk instead of juice. However, you can find whatever smoothie flavour you are craving on the internet or even experiment with your own creations. Try out these five smoothie recipes which you can prepare ahead of time!

blueberry, smoothie, yogurt, berry
Jessica Farber

6. Nuts 

Nuts, whether they be peanuts, almonds, cashews, etc. are a great source of protein and a very healthy snack. You do not have to eat many of them to feel full. Their natural oils and fats are great fuel to keep studying, even for the most difficult of classes.

nut, almond, meat, walnut
Torey Walsh

7. Healthier Protein Bars 

When choosing a protein or granola bar there are many different types, but you can always make the smart decision by choosing a healthy one. There are so many different options i.e., ones with low sugar, calories, fat, or increased protein, whatever you are looking for, you can find the one that fits your dietary needs while still tasting great! I personally like Simply Protein because their bars are high in protein but low in sugar content. As well, when I feel like more of a nutty bar, I turn to Kind Bars as they are filled with protein and have whole nuts in them. You can find what fits your dietary needs by experimenting with different protein bars. This ranking of protein bars may help start you off on your quest to find the perfect one for you!

candy, sweet
Becky Hughes

Although it is important to eat healthy, you must still allow yourself to have a treat once in a while. If you are trying to cut back on your junk food or satisfy those cravings you can use some of these ideas as substitutes. Happy eating and studying!