We’ve all been there. You wake up in the middle of the night and your stomach is grumbling. You turn over and see that your alarm clock reads 12:45 am. Then comes the inner contemplation: Do you try to ignore the loud grumble coming from your stomach, or do you head into the kitchen and pick up the very first thing you see? Whatever option you typically choose, here are some healthy midnight snacks that will satisfy you until light breaks through your curtain.

1. Peanut butter on a slice of whole grain toast

chocolate, butter, peanut, peanut butter

Peanut butter, almond butter, mixed nut butter—whichever you choose, all of these contain healthy fats that are guaranteed to keep you full until morning. Spread a thin layer over some toasted whole grain bread for a snack that's easy for your body to digest as you head back to sleep.

2. Dark Chocolate

beer, coffee, tea
Jeanne Kessira

Dark chocolate is a powerful source of antioxidants, a brain booster, a protector of your skin, and it can lower your risk of developing cardiovascular disease in the future. Those are just a handful of benefits dark chocolate provides. If it's too tempting to eat an entire dark chocolate bar when your stomach is growling at full volume, find a compromise, such as Trader Joe’s 100 Calorie Dark Chocolate Bars. Midnight snacks are all about moderation. 

3. Greek yogurt with honey

honer dipper, blackberry, blueberry, berries, yogurt, honey, milk, sweet
Sam Jesner

Perhaps you ate a super early dinner and you wake up in the middle of the night truly starving. Don’t fret. Greek yogurt not only packs at least 12 grams of protein per serving, but it's also low in calories. Choose plain Greek yogurt and add some raspberries or blueberries. Drizzle on some honey, and your stomach will thank you.

4. Cereal and low-fat milk

spoon, breakfast, Cheerios, spoon of cereal, cereal, milk

I'm not advising anyone to eat Fruity Pebbles or Cocoa Puffs every night for a midnight snack. When choosing a late-night cereal, it's best to stick to cereals with a low amount of sugar, a high fiber content, and a good amount of protein. What are some options? Try Barbara’s Cinnamon Puffins to satisfy your sweet tooth, or have a bowl of Kashi GoLean Vanilla Graham Clusters. When in doubt, opt for Cheerios.

5. Popcorn

wheat, sweet, kettle corn, popcorn, cereal, corn
Sara Carte

Popcorn is an excellent healthy midnight snack for those who wake up craving something salty and crunchy in the middle of the night. Keep in mind that while popcorn is pretty healthy, portion control matters, as well as what you put on your popcorn. Stay away from the butter, and fill up a small bowl to hold over your salt craving. You’re going back to sleep soon anyways, right?

6. Ice Cream

sorbet, yogurt, sweet, dairy, ice, dairy product, milk, cream
Kathleen Lee

I know it’s tempting to jump out of bed, head straight to the freezer, and dig into your favorite tub of ice cream. But let's be honest, not only is that not a very healthy habit, but you probably will regret it in the morning. If ice cream is an absolute must, stick to a plain flavor, rather than one full of sugary toppings. Keep your spoonfuls to a maximum of five, then head straight back to bed! 

#SpoonTip: There are also healthier ice creams like Halo Top and Arctic Zero that you might want to keep on hand.

These healthy snacks should leave you feeling full and stop your hungry stomach from waking you up. If you're still having a hard time falling back asleep, however, you can try some of these things to help with your insomnia. Once you do fall asleep, you can dream about breakfast and wake up to the real thing. See, dreams really do come true.