A couple of months ago, contributor Casey Clark released an article about Halo Top's new and improved dairy-free recipe. As someone who enjoys dairy-free ice cream and has been a fan of the Halo Top flavors in the past, I decided it would be worth trying their new recipe to see if I could taste a difference.

According to their website and other news outlets. Halo Top replaced the brown rice protein with fave bean protein, which they claim would produce a creamier texture with flavor-forward taste. Their flavor line-up includes Birthday Cake, Candy Bar, Chocolate, Chocolate Almond Crunch, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Peanut Butter Cup, and Sea Salt Caramel. 

I finally found Halo Top's dairy-free flavors when I returned to Connecticut this past week. I chose Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and Peanut Butter Cup to evaluate. 

The Review

My first impression? Still as disappointing as when I first tried their ice cream a few years ago. The ice cream just tastes chalky, flavorless, and overall sad. Halo Top also lacks chunks- or really evidence of what the flavor is. There was barely any peanut butter in the PB Cup and the cookie dough only came in tiny pebbles (which I reckon were about half the size of a pencil eraser). I didn't notice any flavor difference in the ice cream; there was still a layer of ice consistent throughout the ice cream. 

Is Halo Top worth buying? At $5 a pint, probably not. I recommend trying Enlightened (same amount of calories with better flavor) instead. Sorry Halo Top, maybe go back to the flavor board.