Just because it's fall, doesn’t mean we need to say goodbye to our cold iced coffee. Even in the crisp back-to-school air, sometimes an ice-cold energy boost is the perfect mid-day refreshment. But trying to pick among the variety of options while making sure you make it to your next class on time can be daunting. On the other hand, maybe you’re trying to save some money this semester or trying to figure out where to start with making coffee from home. For that reason, here is a consolidated list of the different cold coffee options, from iced to cold brew to nitro (along with a coffee lovers’ opinions). Next time, you’ll know exactly what to make or order.

Photo by Neula Ha for Spoon University

Iced coffee

Iced coffee is perhaps the most traditional and best option for many coffee lovers. Its method of brewing is the most intuitive: brew up a batch of hot coffee and chill it until cool. Comedian and coffee connoisseur Andrew Collin is a big proponent for iced coffee because of how easy it is to make and its ability to bring out bold flavors since it’s brewed hot.

“I didn’t really start getting into coffee until I was a senior in college and then what really appealed to me was iced coffee,” says Collin. “Something about drinking an iced drink seemed more approachable.” 

Collin has amassed a following on Instagram and TikTok making content about archetypal “coffee snobs” and other related coffee content. “When that started getting a bit of traction I started delving more into coffee and coffee content,” he says.

Cold brew

Cold brew has become a staple in recent years as not only an order in the coffee shops, but also to make at home. Unlike iced coffee, cold brew is slowly made by infusing cold water with coffee grounds. Coffee expert, writer, and professional food photographer Jessica Furniss is a big proponent of cold brew coffee over the other options — especially if you are trying to save and make your coffee at home.

“All you need for cold brew is a french press and that’s it,” says Furniss.

This method does take a lot longer than making iced coffee, as some people letting it sit over 24 hours before using. But Furniss thinks customizability of it compared to other options makes it worth it. “It’s stronger because you make it as a concentrate,” she says. “With that, you have control over how bold it is and you can kind of choose your flavor.”

But if you aren’t a fan of straight black coffee, Furniss has shown on her TikTok just how creative you can get with her series where she makes specialty drinks based off of jazz songs.

Nitro Cold Brew

What initially started as a trend among coffee shops has become many people’s go-to order at their local chain in the past few years. It is a cold brew with infused nitrogen gas to give it a much smoother flavor and creamier texture, “almost like there’s a creamer in the coffee,” says Furniss.

Collin “actually really like[s] the Starbucks Nitro Cold Brew,” and favors this drink when he is out and needs to order a pick-me-up. If you are trying to become an at-home barista, however, this is definitely not the most user-friendly place to start. Best to order this one from the professionals.

Each type of cold coffee is so different both in flavor and best uses. Iced coffee is a good option if you enjoy the taste of hot coffee and want to maintain that depth in flavor. If you want an easy budget option at home where you get more control of the strength, you might want to go with a cold brew. While a nitro cold brew may not be the most practical for a lot of college students to make themselves, it is the perfect order if you are looking for something different and unique. At the end of the day, every coffee enthusiast has a unique palette and preferences, and it really comes down to what you are looking for in your perfect cup of cold coffee this season.