Use the items you already have in your pantry or fridge and forget the grocery list. Trying out these substitutes will be your newest kitchen experiment. Whether you have an allergy or you just want to try something new give these basic baking substitutes a go. 

Eggs

rice, cereal, egg, meat
Spoon Csu

She Knows discovered that you can whisk together 2 tablespoons of water, 1 teaspoon of oil (like corn or vegetable oil) and 2 teaspoons of baking powder in place of one egg. When used in cookies and other baked goods, it works so well no one would ever know.

Milk

milk, sweet
Katherine Baker

Did you know, if milk is not available, water can be substituted! According to Live Strong you can replace 1 cup of whole milk in a cake recipe, you can use 1 cup of water and 1½ teaspoons of butter. Substituting water with extra butter for milk should produce a cake with little to no noticeable differences. The taste, weight and texture of the cake should be similar, and there should be no crumbling or dryness if the recipe and baking times are followed.

Flour 

Michelle Cremone

The ExSloth believes that chickpeas and black beans are flours most popular substitutions. Obviously, you should only use black beans when cocoa powder is involved, since the beans will turn your treats brown. But, other than that, this substitution is smooth sailing. Replace 1 cup of white purpose flour with 1 cup of bean puree.

Butter

butter, cheese, dairy, dairy product, milk
Caroline Ingalls

Live Strong thinks coconut oil in a one-to-one ratio can be a great substitute for butter in your recipe. For recipes that call for solid butter it is important to use coconut oil that is completely solid or the recipe will not have the right texture and may not rise properly. For recipes that call for melted butter, you can use melted coconut oil. 

Baking Soda & Baking Powder 

milk, sweet, salt, cereal
Jedd Marrero

One How To says that when it comes to preparing batters and other savory recipes, you can replace baking soda or powder with beer, as this drink is fermented with yeast. You can add a splash of beer to batter, which will allow it to rise. Take into consideration this is also a wet ingredient so adjust wet ingredients till you get that desired texture in your batter.

Have I mentioned egg is another great alternative just whip them up to a fluffy consistency and they should provide the proper leveling needed for baked goods.

Sugar

cereal, flour, dairy product
Andrea Leelike

Rondale's Organic Life suggests that you can replace 1 cup of white sugar with the substitution of 3/4 cups of honey, or 3/4 cups of maple syrup, or 2/3 cups of agave, or 1 teaspoon of Stevia. When using honey, agave syrup, and other high-fructose sweeteners, reduce the oven temperature by 25 degrees, as the high fructose content will accelerate browning. Sugar in baked goods is not just for flavor: it affects lift, texture, moisture, browning, and a host of other things, so swapping an alternative sweetener for traditional refined sugar in a recipe might require some experimenting before you achieve a perfect result. Whenever possible, substitute like for like: use a solid sugar to replace granulated sugar, and for syrups, stick to recipes that call for liquid sugar.

Cocoa Powder

cocoa, cocoa powder, chocolate

The Balance mentions that you can swap 1 ounce of unsweetened baking chocolate for 3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder. Take into consideration that there is a higher fat content in the baking chocolate so remove 1 tablespoon of butter, oil, or shortening from the recipe.

Michelle Cremone

The next time you've started a recipe and have forgotten or run out of an ingredient we've got you covered here at Spoon University at UMass Boston. Limit or forget the grocery list completely this week and try out some of these ingredient alternatives. Hope you've enjoyed these kitchen tricks we've supplied and don't hesitate to let us know how they've come out! Enjoy =)