This semester I have been interning at a garden-based learning organization in Cambridge called CitySprouts. I am absolutely loving my work at CitySprouts and it has made me think about what other food-related volunteer opportunities there are in the Boston area. Here's a brief list of other nonprofits that came to mind:

Boston Area Gleaners

Boston Area Gleaners is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that aims to bring fresh, locally grown produce to food banks, meal programs, and pantries. Volunteers travel to farms throughout Massachusetts and harvest and sort crops to save produce that would otherwise go to waste.

The Food Project

The Food Project works to "close the SNAP gap" by connecting hundreds of teens and thousands of volunteers to their natural environment and providing opportunities for people to work on farms in Lincoln, Beverly, Lynn, and Boston. The food grown on the farms is donated to nearby charities as well as sold as part of The Food Project's CSA Program and at area farmers' markets. 

Food for Free

Food for Free provides nutritious, fresh foods to food programs in the Boston area through food rescue, farming, and food delivery. Volunteers can help deliver food to meal programs, work on the farm in Lincoln, MA, or assist with office work at the Food for Free headquarters in Central Square. 

Project Bread

Project Bread is the only state-wide anti-hunger organization in Massachusetts. This group works to increase access to healthy food by advocating for, funding, and supporting programs and resources throughout the state.

Get involved as a volunteer by raising awareness for some of Project Bread's programs and initiatives such as Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) that provides free meals to kids under 18 in eligible areas during the summer. 

Greater Boston Food Bank

The Greater Boston Food Bank is one of the largest food banks in the United States and annually distributes over 50 million pounds of food to hungry people. Their distribution center in South Boston sends food to 530 member agencies and 60 direct distribution programs such as food pantries, soup kitchens, senior centers, meal programs, and more.

You can get involved by volunteering at one of their Mobile Markets where you'll unload, set up, and hand out food in a community at high risk of hunger.

CitySprouts

CitySprouts is a Cambridge nonprofit that partners with Boston and Cambridge Public Schools to build school gardens and integrate garden-based learning into the regular elementary and middle school curriculum. The gardens connect students to their environment and serve as a fun way to teach kids about food justice, nutrition, food science, and biology.

CitySprouts volunteers get to work in one of the school gardens for a day and see firsthand how awesome these green spaces can be. 

Daily Table

Daily Table is a nonprofit retail grocery store that sells both prepared foods and groceries. This organization partners with growers and suppliers to glean their excess food or receive special buying opportunities.

The prices at Daily Table are impressively affordable and expand access to fresh, healthy food. Doug Rauch, the former Trader Joe's President, founded Daily Table in Dorchester in 2015 and there are plans to open additional locations in the Boston area.

Volunteers can assist in the kitchen, sort food and donations, stock shelves, or help with administration in the office. You can also support Daily Table by buying your groceries there.

There are plenty more food-related volunteer opportunities in the Greater Boston community that aren't listed here. It's always fun to help out organization that's tied to your interests.