School is back in full swing, and emotions are flying high. One minute you’re having the time of your life, and the other you’re cramming for midterms, writing papers, and just plain stressing out. But, don't worry too much, because as most of us know, there's always a time and place for a good snack. As long as you’ve got your appetite, we’ll supply the flavorful fall foods to perfectly fit your flighty moods.

Feeling Content: Apples 

sweet, juice, apple
Kristine Mahan

Life is good, so why not take a fresh bite of it? Chow down on some honey crisp apples from the farmers market. They're fresh, in-season and need nothing but simply themselves to taste just right. The satisfying crunch of this earthy food is sure to leave you feeling like one with nature. 

Feeling Fearful: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Claire Sturek

Don’t be afraid to admit it. With Halloween right around the corner and professors assigning endless papers, you’re not sure which nightmare you’d prefer to be the reality. To settle that spooked stomach, grab yourself a pumpkin spice latte. A cup of this delicious, heartwarming drink not only boosts multiple nutritional benefits but can also soothe those fall fears.

Feeling Down: Pie

cookie, cake, bread, apple pie, sweet, pastry, pie

One word: Pie. Let’s face it, you’re in need of some desperate TLC. Maybe midterms didn’t go quite as you predicted or maybe you’re a freshman craving the comfort of your mom’s home-cooked meals. Either way, you need a food to lift up your spirits, and what better way to do so than with some pie? Whether it’s a gratin of turkey pot pie from City Tavern or a warm slice of apple pie from Magpie, any variation of this traditional fall food is sure to bring you to a place of peace.

Feeling Energized: Candy Corn

candy
Allie Hicks

If you’re feeling energetic, add some fuel to that fire with candy corn. This delectable gem of your younger years will not only satisfy your taste buds but keep those glucose levels high. While you're up late cramming or trying to make a deadline, these tiny triangles will give you the extra boost of energy you need to make it through the night. Why not indulge a little?

Feeling Confused: Vegetable Medley

sweet, pepper, squash, meat, vegetable
Grace Becker

You’ve been staring at your textbook for the past half hour reading the same sentence over and over. You’re confused and you don’t know what you want, which is exactly why you should go for a little bit of everything: the vegetable medley. Getting a lick of some buttered butternut squash, parsley covered parsnips, or rosemary roasted sweet potatoes will leave your mind refreshed and renewed. Not to mention, you can feel extra good about getting those vegetables in.

Fall is as fleeting as these moods. As the colorful leaves begin their final descent and you feel the brisk wind through your hair, you should think about ways to take advantage of the season while you still can. So, what better way to get into the “fall spirit” than to eat your way through it? No matter what emotion you may feel, your stomach will surely be happy.